What are your best tips and tricks to deal with a child who stores food in his mouth?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Firstly, good job on making sure that distractions are removed. This is important for several reasons: It teaches your child early on in life that mealtimes have a certain structure and that there is a time and place for everything. It provides a context to practice important things like focus and impulse control. For example, not having the TV on in the background or giving your child an iPad to play on whilst they are eating means that they have to direct their attention fully to the mealtime process. When a person (adults included!) is mindful of what they are doing, they can take in and process information better, which leads to more effective learning. child stores food in her mouth TV can be a big distraction during mealtimes, forcing your child’s focus away from her food. If your child is paying more attention to Dora on her iPad whilst trying to feed herself, she is probably not paying much attention to her intake of food. Thus, she is not learning what it’s like to gradually feel fuller as she eats more, or to control her spoon when scooping up food in preparation for her next mouthful so the food doesn’t spill over the side of her bowl. Before you decide what the best way will be to teach your child to chew and swallow her food in a timely manner, you need to identify why she prefers to store her food rather than eat it. The best way to gather clues for this is to look closely at what’s happening before, during and after mealtimes.

Read more

It is a tough issue to tackle! Here’s what my best friend’s dad did when she was young (and left a deep impression). She remembered clearly that she had the habit of storing her porridge in her mouth and not swallowing. Her father was so fed up with her that he locked her outside the house and told her she could only come back into the house after she has finished her porridge. Haha.. “scarred” her for life.. but worked. Some suggestions from my friends include: - Avoid giving snacks before meal time - Minimize distractions at meal times - Taking the meal away if child insist on not finishing the food in his/her mouth (resume feeding one or two hours later, troublesome but worked for one of my friends) Key thing to note is to explain that it was the squirrel behavior that result in his/her meal from being taken away. - Give positive reinforcements: praise or give rewards when child successfully chew and swallow his/her food promptly. Every child is different and this is quite a common problem. Hope you find a solution that works!! Good luck!

Read more

Essentially it boils down to your child's relationship with food and mealtimes. Here's a helpful article! http://sg.theasianparent.com/lessons-we-can-learn-from-the-japanese-for-healthier-kids/ Making food fun to eat plus letting children learn about what goes into their meals (from farm to table) will develop your child's enthusiasm and respect for what he eats.

Read more

I do not give my daughter snack. I would not allow her to watch TV and eat in the same time. There was the case that my daughter did not want to eat then I told her the impact of not eating/having meal from Google picture. then she come back to eat again.