What are the most difficult challenges a step parent faces in gaining the trust of their new children? Do share.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I'm not a step parent, but I have friends who are. The most important thing is not to deny or deride the child's other biological parent and instead, acknowledge the bond between the child and parent. The most difficult part is having to discipline the child and hear something hurtful like "You're not my mother! Don't tell me what to do!" It's better to start off as a friend and keep very calm in order to gain their trust.

Read more

Never give the kids the impression that you are trying to replace their parent. I feel some step parents try so hard to step in as replacements which is an ideal but it is not realistic at all. You are a parent but not the parent (does that make sense). Give it time, be patient and let things happen naturally. Don't force yourself into the child's life, you'll only end up pushing him or her further away.

Read more

When you are not even sure if you truly love them, especially when you have children of your blood. They perceive prejudice more seriously when it is exhibited too. Truth to be told, even when all children are your own flesh and blood there is bound to be some bias.

thanks