We are having maid interviews this weekend. Which questions do you ask when you interview a helper?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You can ask some of these questions: - Has she taken any first aid courses (if yes, when and with whom? If no, whether she knows any basic first aid)? - Can she cook? What’s her favourite dish? How did she cook it? - Is she married, and does she have children? (Can also ask about her husband’s occupation and whether he is supportive of her decision to work overseas) - Why did she choose to come over to work in Singapore? Ho does her family feels about it? - What did she do in her previous employment? How many kids did she took care of, what were your duties, how many people did you live with, how big was the house you had to clean, etc. - What is her favourite chore? Does she follow any cleaning schedule? If yes, what is her routine like? - Does she have any experience with taking care of children (if applicable)? - If she is transferred, what was the reason for the transfer? Any references? (ask if you could speak to her previous employers) You can also give her some background of your family, how many people staying in the house, things you will expect her to do (especially if you have baby or children) and ask if she feels that she is able to work for your family. Good luck!

Read more

Hi, I assume you are employing to look after your child. For me, if she needs to cook then i will ask about her cooking experiences too. Looking at her biodata, if there is a gap that she stopped work or missing in action, I will ask what did she do during that period. Ask how many siblings does she have. Most of my helpers are eldest or elder coz they are tasked to look after siblings since young and they have to work to provide for them. If cooking, what do they know how to cook. Ask them for the steps. If taking care of baby, ask in specific like qns above. Lastly, look at their teeth, most maids come with poor dental care and in the end, employers have to pay for them.

Read more

What's the maid employed primarily for? Is it for baby care Or is it for house cleaning? For baby care I would ask her questions about her Past experiences and situational experiences to see how she thinks. Some example questions are: - what's your experience with children? - Do you know how to cook food for kids/babies? - What do you do after you feed the baby? - How do you sterilise the baby bottle? - What will you do if the baby is crying and the doorbell rings? - what would you do if baby has a fever and I am not home

Read more
VIP Member

For me, i will give the maid a scenario and what will do they or react if certain things happen. If your maid will be caring for your kids, best to bring your child down and see how they interact with your kid. I ever interviewed a helper, but she was so rough and rude to my kid, immediately i rejected her and asked for another helper to be interviewed again Hope it helps!

Read more