GDM at 28 weeks pregnanct

Was diagnosed with GDM at 28 weeks , nurse called and went for zoom briefing regards the glucose meter blood take every 2 days in 1 week. Its my 1st day starting to self check at home using the glucose meter and my morning check was okay at 4.8mmol/L But as for 2 hours aft bfast at 10am , 5mins b4 lunch at 1255pm and 2 hours aft lunch at 3pm . All the reading was 7.0mmol/L , 7.1mmol/L and 7.3mmol/L . Is it normal ? I only ate small amount of food that the dietician suggested and drank plenty of plain water only drank soy milk during bfast the rest of my meal i drank plain water . The nurse gave a range of 5.5mmol/L to 6.6mmol/L aft 2 hours of every meal. Before meal the range have to be 4.4mmol/L to 5.5mmol/L But it seems like aft 2 hours it always go up to 7.0+ mmol/L

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I’m with kkh, following up for gdm too. It could also mean that your body is facing insulin resistance. My gynae doesn’t encourage me to starve, so she’d get me to try changing my food choices. Interestingly, not everyone responds the same way to the same food, and eating at home and out can get very diff results. For e.g. eating mee sua at home, keeps my glucose levels down, but eating mee sua outside always spikes my glucose levels. The endocrinologist that sees me tells me that it could sometimes be additional sugar used outside to cook the soup and we dont realise it that way because we cook our food differently. So good to explore and find some foods that doesn’t spike and might have to stick to the same stalls. I have seen gdm forums where a small group of mummies’ sugar spike when they take soya bean. Which a lot of mummies would not believe and finds it odd. Personally I was surprised too. But they tested their glucose levels and it really spikes. Take a bit time to explore and try out even foods you crave for. It’ll be quite manageable after a while. Dont worry about it! And, actually 7 is not super atrocious figures (my gynae tells me this cause my morning glucose keeps spiking), but of course, I am already on meds and they increased my meds to help me manage it better so that I can still eat normally, and baby gets the nutrients he needs.

Read more