Do you need to bring a breast pump to the hospital when you deliver? Or does the hospital give you one to use?

76 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I encourage you to bring your breastpump to hospital. The reasons being you can get hands-on guidance from lactation consultants on the operation and positioning of the breastpump so that you can get more familiar with the pump once milk kicks in. While my lactation consultant did encourage direct latching, normally first few days the newborn sleeps alot. You might need to pump out the milk to ease the engorgement. I brought my manual pump and breastmilk storage bottles in my hospital bag. I am glad that I did as my milk kicked in immediately after the delivery. It helps me to ease my engorgement during the hospital stay and pump extra breastmilk to bring home. I am more confident in handling the pump whenever I need to pump. Hospitals do provide both manual and electric breastpump for you to try out before you make decision on which breastpump to invest in.

Read more
VIP Member

It isn't necessary to pack a breast pump into your hospital bag. Your milk will take a few days to come in, and you can request the nurses or lactation consultants to help you to express colostrum using a syringe, which is very nutritious and beneficial for baby. If you do need the pump, you can rent it from the hospital at a fee. Or you could just hand express, which is a good skill to learn in case of emergencies when your pump breaks down all of a sudden.

Read more
VIP Member

Using a breast pump is actually quite a no-brainer. The only thing you need to do is to ensure the flanges are a good fit for your nipples. You could still bring it if you want, though I didn't. It's not worth the extra baggage as there won't be a lot to store in the first few days and the colostrum can be stored in a syringe. Moreover, the hospital I delivered at heavily promoted direct latching and my baby was by my side most of the time.

Read more

Hospitals do not take the initiative to offer the pump to you and for hygiene sake if you wish to pump, do bring your own. I would highly encourage to latch because not all of us would have milk immediately after delivery. Latching can help to stimulate milk supply. You will need the lactation consultant to guide you more on the latching than on the pump. Pumping demonstrations can be found on YouTube.

Read more

I brought mine. The benefit is not so much of using it but more of showing my lactation consultant, n getting her opinion and advice on how to use. She was the one who highlighted the wrong flange size to me. I am glad I brought it along w me. If not I cannot imagine the pain from not being able to pump properly for a start. I'm a new mother btw

Read more

I will suggest to bring one if U want to bring cause at this covid period, kkh (not sure about other hospital) is not renting them out for hygiene purposes. However I didn’t bring mine when I gave birth, cause first few days you will not have milk. Only colostrum. My milk only kick in on the 3rd day. But u can bring one if u wanna get the LC to teach u how to use, or if ure staying in the hospital longer

Read more
3y ago

Before your milk kicks in, baby will only drink colostrum. It’s thick and yellow in colour.

I did not bring mine as I wanted my baby to latch and also I haven buy one till I know whether I needed it or not.. But ended up I needed one cos she don wanna latch . Only latch for awhile. Then it gets engorged plus I stayed for 5d4n .. I had no choice but to borrow from the hospital. But I do recommend if u r c sec u may need to bring. though my milk comes in during day 2.

Read more

Personally I don't bring along as I fully latch my baby from the start. I given birth via C-section and I don't face the problems like engorgement. However, I know that hospitals do provide pump if you need at no extra charges but you need to get from them the disposable parts and they will put to your hospital bill accordingly.

Read more

didn't need too breast milk will take 2 to 3 days to come in and by the time already discharge we can direct feed baby at home is the most healthy process. but of cos if working mum after 3 months will need to bring breast pump along with u. as stay at home mum is more convenient to feed baby direct.

Read more

When I delivered my daughter at KKH, they promote like direct latching and no breast pump was provided. They put the baby with me so when it's time for feed, you can direct latch on the spot. Only during times when they are required to do hearing test or jabs, they will bring the baby away for awhile.

Read more