When do your start Maternity leave?

Hi all, typically when do you start taking your maternity leave? Does your gynae give you HL prior to your EDD and how long?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Typically, maternity leave is scheduled to start around four weeks before your estimated due date (EDD). However, some women may choose to start earlier or later based on personal preferences or medical advice. Your gynecologist or healthcare provider will usually advise you on when to begin your maternity leave based on your health, the progression of your pregnancy, and any potential complications. Some companies also offer different options for maternity leave, so it's worth checking with your employer as well. It's essential to plan ahead and communicate your maternity leave start date with your employer and healthcare provider to ensure a smooth transition and proper care for both you and your baby. https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

Only start maternity leave on the day I delivered. For both my kids I got HL prior to delivery due to my chronic asthma. 5 weeks for my 1st and 4 weeks for my 2nd recently. Gynae frm Parkway East. Easier to get HL if you have a medical condition and if ur nature of work might make it worse. As a teacher, my asthma definitely got worse when I was pregnant. And private hospital gynaes also seem more lenient in giving HL.

Read more

I'm delivering at Wk 37, actual EDD 14 Sep, but i can go on my maternity leave 4 weeks before Wk 37 since it is planned with the KKH doctors already (of course provided no early surprises by the baby).. Now i'm already working from home and I'm at Wk 29+5, so it also depends on your company's flexibility.

Read more

Started only the day I gave birth. Requested for hospital leave but gynae does not allow. You may wish to use your own annual vacation leave or maternity leave if you wish to not go in to office or go work before you deliver

I only started my maternity leave on the day I gave birth. My gynae gave me 1 week HL from my appointment at week 37 as I was scheduled to be induced at week 38.

TapFluencer

started my maternity leave on week 38/39... & spread out the last 4 weeks of my ML throughout the next 9 months with my employer's support

I requested for HL at 35weeks but she didn't allow.. Only got mine at 37weeks. Gave birth at 38w+4. I started my ML on the day I gave birth

mine started on the day I delivered - I was under a private gynae. I was under HL for 2 weeks before my EDD.

I started when I popped coz i wanted to maximise the time I can keep the baby home before he goes to ifc

I started mine 2 weeks bef EDD. unfortunately my gynae did not want to give me HL. I was under private.