Tips on dealing with MIL

Any tips on how to tell MIL not to kiss my baby without being too offensive? This MIL we had told her through SIL but she obviously disregarded what we said to her and purposely kissed my baby on his lips. I was so disgusted by her. Out of respect (even though she was disrespectful to our wishes but I don't want to stoop to her level), I want to tell her directly not to do it during our next visit but do not want to come across as rude. Appreciate any advice! Thanks!

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

On lips is unacceptable, on cheeks still boderline ok. Actually we cant pleased everyone, u are nice enough that u dont want to offend her. Ask your husband to do tell your mil. If not then just tell directly, we cant pleased everyone. Sometimes us mothers we try to please everyone but then it just affect us. Being direct is also not offensive. When I am in confinement, my family would just come visit and sometimes pass toxic remarks to me, and i learned it the hard way because i let them, our body n mind have gone thru alot, so now do things thats good for u! Take care of yourself ya!

Read more

Maybe can say sth like that the next time.. baby jus recovered from rashes at the face area so doctor suggested all not to kiss n touch the face.. n if someone really still does it after u say.. pls take a wet wipe out n wipe straight infront of the person face to let the person know you are not happy with their action. Hinting is being nice cos we don’t want to hurt relationship but if someone still does that I believe there no mutual respect so we need to do the same as well. Baby is yours so no one can stop you from ur good intention.

Read more

I think I'd use expert opinion to put her in place. Something like "Mother, I know you like kissing baby, but the doctor strongly advised not to do so. For the well being of baby, we hope you can understand. Thanks!" And also, yes to all the replies advising to deliberately wipe baby's lips immediately after your MIL kisses on them, to show her via action. A good passive aggressive move! 🤣

Read more
VIP Member

Just tell her straight no. Why must u be indirect and unclear when she is obviously disrespecting you and your baby? A NO is not offensive or rude. Because u are the mother and u have your rights to refuse anyone doing things that u feel its uncomfortable with your child. If i were u, i will tell her not to do it without feeling guilty. I have my rights and she shldnt cross the line.

Read more
VIP Member

Yeah, wipe away immediately after she does that since she refuse to listen. This also shows her you are not pleased with the action and should seriously stop doing so. We also not sure what she had or did before she kissed your baby. Now baby immune system is still not strong, better take double precaution

Read more

All i mean almost most mil r the non conforming boundary breaking type of brainless person. U should get your husband to talk to her infront of your presences so that she understand that you are not comfortable. If tat dont work perhaps you may need to sit her down n talk.

Why ur husband don’t want to tell her? If she wanna be angry she will angry at her own son and you won’t be affected ma. Angry at own son is better than angry at daughter-in-law. They will forgive and forget faster.

you can tell her straightforward. and if she do it again. u can say that you wont b visiting again.

I told my mum to kiss baby’s feet if she wants to. Not anywhere else. Maybe you can try that

This and kissing baby on cheeks and then poor baby smells of their disgusting saliva! 🤮