is there a correct and right way to latch at night? can share how mummies do it at night? I have been latching baby lying side by side and baby will fall asleep after having his fill.. But will cry an hour later which I'll latch the other side.. and it could be for a couple of times till morning.. it's quite tiring.. But because we both are sleeping, I'm taking it that he is not latching till full and I don't feel my breast gets emptied, but is it tiring to get up and pump. how to do this correctly? just started latching my baby at night for a few weeks only..

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I think baby is treating u as pacifier. Hence you need to quit this habit. Once baby fall asleep, you can feel it urself, de-latch him and let him continue sleep. Don't let him continue suckle non-stop and throughout if not you will need a pacifier to try out is it that baby really suckling for comfort or baby is hungry. If he cry in middle, i will latch him and continue to sleep, but he will de-latch himself and continue to sleep. Hence i always wake up 1 breast showing to the world. If you are latching at night only, don't pump, let your breast season. I only pump before i sleep after i latch him to sleep. And pump again when i totally wake up in the morning. The rest of the pump is in 3-4 hours from morning to after latching to sleep that is last pump. Everytime i pump is after i latch.

Read more
8y ago

my baby is 10 weeks old today. :) but I only latching him almost full day and night few weeks back..

my lo is nearly 8 mths now and still the same - latch multiple times at night but breasts nt fully emptied. i think it's ok and perfectly natural to let babies suckle for comfort. it's their instinct so i do not think that it is a bad habit or a habit that needs to be stopped. it is like saying scratching to relieve an itch is a bad habit when it's natural to do so. for me, i will let my lo comfort latch or dream feed or whatnot for as long as he wants to. i treasure it cos he's not going to do so forever. he will grow up all too soon

Read more
VIP Member

Jia you! Try on some soothing music after baby fall asleep. Incase your baby is light sleeper too. That's why awake. As we latch, it's hard to know whether they are hungry or latching for comfort bcuz they are being awaken by bit of noise. Once they are bigger, tend to know easily, now when he cry, doesn't mean i offer a breast for him, he will want, he reject too

Read more
VIP Member

Newborn is like that, everyone go thru this phrases, as baby is not drinking that much yet, and you start to have more supply cming, night is always a booster pump for supply. So temp have to wake up and clear a bit, dun clear too much, so ur breast know how much to produce and not overproduce.