Teething wafers vs teething rusks... 1) what's the diff? are they safe? won't they choke? 2) which did you get for your LO? why? 3) what brand would you recommend? 4) when did u start offering these to your baby? Abt the same time you started with solids? thanks!

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

1) teething wafers and rusks should be safe but still need to monitor baby when they are chewing on them. Especially when the teeth start coming out they may be able to break off big pieces of the rusk and risk swallowing it. The rusks are very hard so baby won't be able to chew easily. The saliva will slowly make the rusk melt and hence baby won't choke. But for wafers not sure if you are talking about the Japanese brand wafer in a red box? I think wafers are more for consuming as a snack and can easily bite and melt in mouth compared to rusks which are harder. When you give wafer pls monitor closely to ensure baby doesn't chew off a big piece of perhaps you can break into smaller pieces to feed him 2) I bought Heinz rusks as well or Bellamy's organic rusks. I did not buy wafer at all. I give other kind of snacks like the pigeon rice biscuit as snacks 4) I started giving rusks about 6mths and also at the same time gave the pigeon biscuits which are suitable for 6mo onwards

Read more
8y ago

Thanks for sharing! I bought the kiddylicious wafers. Not sure whether it is a good time to let her try or not but will do like what u sugg.

1) ingredients used are different. Wafers/biscuits are meant for snacks. Rusks are meant for baby to gnaw on. They are safe. No, they will not get choked as they are supposed to melt when come into contact with fluid for wafers. As for rusks, they are very very hard, it substitutes as a teether so one piece can last for a long long time. 10mins into gnawing, it probaby will still be at the same length. 2 & 3) Both. Initial phase if weaning af 6 months I gave rusks for a couple of times till baby learns how to grip, put into mouth and gnaw. After baby got used to it and starts throwing it away, it's use is as good as gone. After this phase at about 8months then I started to give teething wafers/biscuits. 3) Go for whichever is available easily for you. Want Want Babt Bites is cheaper than other brands available in the supermarket, Mothercare and Kiddy Palace. Choose the brand which has the lowest sodium levels and less chemical and flavouring composition.

Read more
8y ago

Many thanks for sharing and enlightening! Much appreciated :)

There are wafer liked rusks for the babies. They will not choke as it will dissolve when the saliva is in contact. I've attached the Wang Wang baby bites which my LO is taking. There are 3 different Flavours for this brand n is cheap. $2.65 for a box from NTUC

Post reply image
8y ago

thanks a lot! i will go and search for that! looks good :)

I have baby wafers at 4 months old. I bought the organic wafers, can't recall the brand. Yes it is safe, it will melt in the mouth

Wafers will melt in babies mouth, rusk are harder more like a biscuit.