Do you swaddle a 3 weeks old newborn right after bathe? My CL did that but I thought it would be better for the skin to air alittle before swaddling since baby not yet sleeping.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The purpose of swaddling is mainly to help reduce a newborn’s Moro Reflexes, so that baby could enjoy better rest. This reflex could take place regardless baby is sleeping or not. So swaddling will likely help to calm baby and reduce crying episodes in the first few months. Swaddling also helps keeps baby warm as he/she is still not good at regulating his/her own body temperature. Personally, I think it is up to you how long you want to keep your baby swaddled. Perhaps you can communicate with your CL that you would want baby not to be swaddled after his/her bath (if the room is not too warm)? I have friends who keep their babies swaddled for most part of the day up till they were 6 weeks old or so. There are some who only swaddle their babies when they sleep. Some babies liked being swaddled while some may not. So it kind of depends on what works for your baby and what you are comfortable with. Congrats on your newborn by the way! :)

Read more
8y ago

Thank you for your detailed reply! Appreciate your advice! :)

My CL swaddles my baby after her bath for about 15-20 mins, so that she is kept warm. She mentioned that I should continue to swaddle her after bath till she is about 3 months old.