When can you stop swaddling a newborn ?

Hi Mummies, Can I check by when can you stop swaddling the newborn ? My newborn is 3 weeks old now and he gets scared while sleeping if he is not swaddled. #advicepls #firstbaby

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My baby swaddle for 2 weeks. He hate swaddle, always trying to break free. When swaddle him.. he get really angry.. He too will always startle when sleep, but I am unable to swaddle him. He will wake when I try to swaddle him during slp. I use bean sprout husk pillow put on his chest during slp. Usually baby can swaddle until they start flipping.

Read more
1y ago

Okay got it. Thank you

Listen to your baby. If it helps that he's sleeping well while swaddled, please continue to do it. As long as they are free to move their hands and feet while awake, nothing wrong with swaddling to sleep. Some adults still enjoy having blankets bundled around them for sleeping, it's their comfort snuggy position. :)

Read more

You can continue to swaddle till they are about 4 to 5 months old. Depends on your LO, there are some baby love to be swaddle so they can sleep comfortably. While some dont like to be swaddle. My second born swaddle till about a month old while the first born for about 2 to 3 months.

VIP Member

My infant hates swaddling at first but felt really secured with it eventually. So from wrap, I transit her to sleep sack kind as she grows till she's around 7 months. she loves it and soothes her to sleep feeling comfort and secured.

1y ago

Good tip. For now I will continue to swaddle the baby and later transition yo sleep sack

This depends on your baby. For my baby, I stopped swaddling at ard 3mths. Cause I realise she will try to break free each time she's swaddled and she gets irritated.

When they can escape the swaddle and they want to have more movement already. Swaddle will slow their growth when swaddled too long.