Sucking fingers vs pacifier? Which is the less of two evil?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I will definitely go for sucking the finger. Babies generally suck their thumb to soothe themselves, which is good, because they need to learn how to rely on their own resources. The ability to regulate or control one's behavior and emotions is an important developmental challenge. When your child sucks her thumb, she's finding ways to make herself feel better without your help. In general, thumb-sucking is more irritating to parents than it is harmful to kids. Your baby will stop when she's ready and has developed other ways of soothing herself. My firstborn kick off the "bad" habit after she learns to express her needs better for me to understand her.

Read more

yeah, I agree pacifier would be better too. It was my best helper during my Lo younger days. Though quitting may be tough for some but eventually u still can get rid of it for gd. *Mind over matter :D plus u can wash, scrub, change brand new ones when needed.

Pacifier for me as u can sterile it if its dirty and u can take it away from your kid. If its finger we cannot control much as we cannot take away their fingers. And sucking fingers can be bad for their growth and nails too.

VIP Member

pacifier. You can make the bby quit by throwing away the pacifier. Finger is always with them. its harder to kick off the habit. And it's also dirty.

Pacifier at least I can wash it. And it's easier to wean baby off compared to fingers

I won't give both. Thank God my boys refuses both. But he uses me as a pacifier.

both