My LO is 8 months old.. When she was 7 months old , I tried baby-led weaning (blw) method of feeding . Until one day she almost choke on a carrot and from that day I become fearful to try blw again .. Decided to feed her puree and porridge .. The traditional way of weaning . However, every time I see my fren's son of same age doing blw and can eat so many different whole food, I felt like I've failed as a mother :( feel that I've short changed my LO .. Been feeling lousy for quite a few weeks .. Yet another part of me tells me not to feel pressurized about what other mommies are doing., what should I do to feel better ? Traditional weaning is really so bad ?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Don't feel bad :-) Spoon feeding is still as good. Baby lead weaning is not superior than the traditional weaning. What method you want to do and to try, depends on how comfortable you are and ultimately, how your baby will take to it. If you want to try the baby lead weaning again, maybe as suggested by Idza, you can try soft fruits first like banana, melon and avocado. I have friends who's lo also almost choked on steamed carrots as well but she tried again with fruits. When the lo was a bit older, then they tried carrots again and other steamed vegetables. So far so good. But of course, if you want to continue giving puree, I don't think you will be judged! :-) Hope this helps :-)

Read more

You are not a bad mother. I totally don't believe in blw. I don't think my boy is missing out on anything. I deliberately try not to compare milestones with others too. All these are not impt. As long as my baby is happy and healthy. Plus I give him all the love in fb world and he lives with the right values. Do what makes you comfortable - not what others make you feel you must or should be doing.

Read more

Maybe it you wanna feed whole foods, carrots are not the best to start with. Maybe you can try again with softer foods like avocado, banana etc. Cut them into really small pieces and these should be safe for baby to eat. Once baby is older has gotten the hang of chewing, you can try again with harder foods like carrots. Don't give up mommy!

Read more
VIP Member

Don't feel bad, i'm a mixture of both. U can start blw again with softer texture of foods like sweet potato, papaya, banana. One of the food they will BLW successfully is usually fries, if u dun mind giving them when they are 9-10months. I give without salt. Slowly, ur LO will get better.

Read more