Since the day I found out I was pregnant, women have been telling me horror stories about childbirth. I've heard things that would make your toes curl. I try to ignore them, but some accounts scare me to the point of tears. This is my first pregnancy and I don't know what to expect from the delivery. Why do people feel the need to share their most awful birth experiences instead of the joyous ones?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think it is because the delivery process is something that is very difficult to prepare for. Regardless how much reading and technical knowledge you’ve acquired, one can never tell what is really going to happen. I supposed many mothers who have had difficult births felt the need to share as they hope to better prepare others for what they may not have considered/imagined. Try to remember that every woman is different and even though some may have rather traumatizing tales to tell, they are also living proof that no matter how tough, it is not impossible. Instead of being traumatized by their stories, learn what got them through. Was it support from their hubbies? Any particular breathing technique? Having songs or music to help calm them? Were there any last minute decisions that they had to make (you could consider those and think of what decision you may want to make for yourself?)? You can also read some factual and less toe-curling narratives of the birth process to help calm your nerves. Here are a few which I thought are rather alright (though still involve a little drama here and there, which I supposed can’t be help because every experience is unique and intense to the mother at some point): http://www.indrani.net/2007/11/keis_birth_2_the_day http://watchmomtry.com/having-a-baby-in-singapore-part-3/ http://yannisms.com/archives/2014/06/14/zac-a-birth-story/ Take care and all the best mummy!

Read more

Unfortunately, it is human nature to remember the negatives more than the positives due to how traumatic and painful the memory is. I mean, after a breakup, it is very rare for someone to remember the positives right away and usually, the negatives are the first things people will remember. However, as time goes by and wounds heal, the negatives will slip away and there will be a semblance of the positives, if not, then clarity and calm. This is the same for labour I feel. I know many moms who went through painful, traumatic labour but if you ask them if they could go back in time and undo it, not have their child, I bet no one will actually agree to it. As painful as it is, there's alot of joy that comes after. Agree with what Diana says, take these stories with a pinch of salt and make your own. Who knows, maybe yours will be relatively easy? :)

Read more

I think it's due to birth experience is a major life experience and some women could find it is very traumatised to them. And some even do not wish to experience it anymore. Try to take the birth stories with a pinch of salt as each individual experiences different birth process. You can attend childbirth course to understand more about the process and what are the pain relief available for you.

Read more

God does not give u something ur body cannot handle. Women has been giving birth from generations back. Many women go on to have 2nd, 3rd, ... births. I m a mother of 1 and childbirth is really not easy. But u are a woman. You are going to b a mother. Trust that when the time comes, u can do it 😍😍

Read more