12 Replies

A friend of mine named her baby, Hannara -- from the word, Harana. Harana is an old Filipino courtship tradition where men would serenade women by singing, most of the time, with a guitar. They chose a music-inspired name because the father of the little girl is an acoustic singer.

I know one Filipino writer, she named her child Karagatan. Nickname is Dagat, I think. Her reason: she's afraid of the ocean and she wants her baby to be the only "dagat" she can embrace. I think it's really beautiful and poetic.

I used to have a classmate named Diwata. Her younger sister was named Bituin. :) I personally love the name Tala (which also means star). For boys, I've met someone named Datu and found his name to be super cool!

I am always fond of my friend's baby's nickname--Alay (which means offering). When asked why did they name him as such, they said that Alay is their sign of love and gift/offering to one another.

Nothing's as Pinoy as names likes Filipina and Filipino. No joke. They're real. I've encountered both, although I didn't know the one named Filipina personally.

You can check this page for Filipino native name suggestions. Lots of beautiful names are listed here http://www.babynames.ch/Info/Language/laTagalog

If it's a girl, maybe something sweet like Tala (bright star)? I have a Filipina friend named Malaya. According to her, it means free and independent.

My friend's baby's name is Alab (fire) because she said that name signifies her love for her baby. I also know someone named Kalangitan (sky).

I love the name Tala for a girl. It's the more unique version of Bituin. As for boys, I like Makisig.

I remembered my childhood neighbors Amihan and Dayanghirang. They are sisters.

Related Questions

Trending na Tanong

Related Articles