Can you share the most unique Pinoy baby names you know? Looking for inspiration for baby names for my cousin's baby and we want something local (we don' know the gender yet).

12 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

A friend of mine named her baby, Hannara -- from the word, Harana. Harana is an old Filipino courtship tradition where men would serenade women by singing, most of the time, with a guitar. They chose a music-inspired name because the father of the little girl is an acoustic singer.

I know one Filipino writer, she named her child Karagatan. Nickname is Dagat, I think. Her reason: she's afraid of the ocean and she wants her baby to be the only "dagat" she can embrace. I think it's really beautiful and poetic.

I used to have a classmate named Diwata. Her younger sister was named Bituin. :) I personally love the name Tala (which also means star). For boys, I've met someone named Datu and found his name to be super cool!

I am always fond of my friend's baby's nickname--Alay (which means offering). When asked why did they name him as such, they said that Alay is their sign of love and gift/offering to one another.

Nothing's as Pinoy as names likes Filipina and Filipino. No joke. They're real. I've encountered both, although I didn't know the one named Filipina personally.

You can check this page for Filipino native name suggestions. Lots of beautiful names are listed here http://www.babynames.ch/Info/Language/laTagalog

If it's a girl, maybe something sweet like Tala (bright star)? I have a Filipina friend named Malaya. According to her, it means free and independent.

My friend's baby's name is Alab (fire) because she said that name signifies her love for her baby. I also know someone named Kalangitan (sky).

I love the name Tala for a girl. It's the more unique version of Bituin. As for boys, I like Makisig.

I remembered my childhood neighbors Amihan and Dayanghirang. They are sisters.