Is confinement nanny necessary?

#pleasehelp FTM here and my edd is late Jan 2022 which falls under the Chinese new year period. Have asked around and confinement service during this period are around 5k. I was wondering if it's really necessary to have a stay in confinement lady? I live with my husband only but my in law and parents stay nearby us (walking distance) and I'm sure my mil will be able to help out a little, maybe cooking and washing baby clothes? Have not announce the pregnancy to them yet hence can't discuss much. Anyone could share their experience and thoughts please?

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I got a confinement nanny bcos my hubby and have no help at all. But that CN keep taking my baby away from me telling me to rest and nonsense such as I do not have enough breast milk and got my hubby to buy formula milk. First 2 days I broke down and cry uncontrollably thinking I'm such a lousy mum. Luckily my best friend came and console me and told the CN off bcos she knows nothing about breastfeeding she should just shut up. She encouraged me and I continue to persevere to BF my baby. My little one is now a 10 months old strong and happy baby. That can of formula milk was only used once. I think most importantly is not to let the CN interfere with how you want to care for your baby if you have a clear idea how you wanna go about doing it. Oh.. my CN gave us hell for the last week wanting to secure another employer without telling her agency. She was so bz communicating with the next employer she did not help to care for my baby. End up she's a really expensive maid that was not that good with cooking too. *roll eyes* I should have just get confinement meals back then.

Read more
Super Mum

Hi, Here's my experience. We hired a confinement lady during my 1st and it was a bad experience. She was lazy and unhygienic. She didn't wake up to feed baby in the middle of night. She even requested to go out and meet friends. I was mentally stressed by her. We sent her off after 1 week as I can't take it any longer. We decided not to hire confinement lady for my 2nd. I do not have the benefits of in laws / parents to help but my hubby is willing to do the chores and care for baby. We will be ordering confinement food.

Read more

I am also a ftm, gave birth this year during cny period and did not have a confinement nanny. Only ordered confinement food. It was tiring, definitely, but manageable. My husband took paternity leave + few more extra days leave so about 3 weeks in total. The first 2 weeks barely slept, only 1 to 2 hours a day but once we got use to the routine and how to take care of baby, everything was much easier. Since you have family living nearby, I don't think it's necessary for a confinement nanny.

Read more

I’m delivery on early Dec 2021. I also only stay with my hubby and in laws is nearer but I would wish to be able to rest and recuperate well during confinement period as it’s recommended we should rest more and lay down also we need to do postnatal massage. So to me it’s important even though, I quite uncomfortable To have someone in my house. 5k is steep.. my confinement lady is 3.7k but it’s b4 CNY rate. I do know CNY will have a surcharge.

Read more
Super Mum

I got a confinement nanny from agency. Slightly dearer than normal but at least the price and service is fixed. Freelancers may last minute play hard to get cause they want more. My main reason for getting nanny was for the night time care. Hubby and parents couldn’t help at night. Since I ended up exclusively pumping, i at least could pump and without disturbance to feed baby. Alternatively can consider confinement food tingkat.

Read more
3y ago

It will be tiring especially the beginning when your baby latches or is uncomfortable every 2 hours. So if either hubby or parents give commitment to help either in blocks of time during the day / night so you can have complete rest, that is manageable.

If you are getting help from your parents or in laws and your husband is able to work from home and help on top of his paternity leave I think it’s ok not to have CN. I’m not getting 1 cos of cost and also cos my husband and I would like to figure things out ourselves. It’s scary but I think it’s a good experience 😊 it’s totally your personal choice!

Read more

I feel that the main point of confinement nanny is not the food, take care of baby but the night time duties. Newborn sleeps a lot, so taking care isn’t really hard (during the day). But the 3hrly routine will kill you, especially at night. So for me, I had a CL for #1, and will definitely have for #2.

Read more

if u are a hands on person, CN is not really needed. CN can be an extra burden to u especially when u are new to handle newborn. U can consider order Confinement Meal and full focus taking care of newborn, when baby sleep u sleep. Housework leave it to your hubby or hire part time helper.

my first two girls born, my mum helped me on cook confinement meal. now my 3rd bb juz born a week ago, and i called confinement meal, others washing, baby showering temporary my mum cum daily to help after her work. After my confinement i can take care of bb myself and housework😊

if mother in law can help it will be really great, if cooking is too much for your mother in law to handle, can get catering for confinement food. There are the 14 days lunch and dinner, 28 days lunch and dinner.