16+ mth old (yet to say simple word)

Hi parent, My boy is going to be 17th mth old and yesterday we went to visit a pediatric for his vaccinations. She comment that my boy have some speech delay for the current month age he is in as he haven’t start to say out few simple word like mama , papa. And she also mentioned will monitor him again when he coming for another vaccination when he is 18th mth old , if he still don’t talk then she will arrange a therapist to assist in this issue. I find is normal even toddler hasn’t start talking... my girl start to call us when she is 2 yr old. Any comments/view to share?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My son is 17m and 2 weeks . He doesn't call ' ma ma ' or 'ba ba '. He make a lot of baby sound and screaming most of the time... His last hearing test at 6 month old is normal . Is this normal ? For child has speech delayed , when is the latest age need to start intervention?

It is normal. Dev check up for my son at 18mths, the PD also said the same thing. It is their SOP timeline for kids to do achieve a certain milestone at different stage. My boy only started talking a little at 21mths Jia you!!

dont worry, my son dont even start when he is 2years old, but you will feel shock when he start talking, my son now is 2 years 7mth, and he know how to quarrel already

3y ago

Did he hum or have lack of eye contact? My girl does and worried she has other issues like autism.

I think its pretty normal. My boy start talking at ard 2 yrs old too.