Extreme fear of giving birth 😣

Is it normal to feel extremely scared of giving birth to the point you’ll randomly cry? This is my first pregnancy and Ill be induced and giving birth in few days time. Im really hoping for a natural delivery and not e-csect😣 and can’t shake off the feeling of extreme fear and anxiety. I dont know what will happen, how my body will handle the pain and how im going to endure the pain as i have zero pain tolerance. Ill sometimes randomly cry before bed. I feel like counting down the days to giving birth is like the feeling of counting down the days to being hanged in prison. I know i should be happy and excited for baby to come but im just scared.

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi dear, i gave birth slightly more than a month ago. I was advised to go for an induce because at 38 weeks i was only 1cm dilated. The doctor gave me until my due date, if baby decide to come out on her own then no induction is needed. I reached my due date and i have no signs of labour. I did my best, walk 10km everyday, do squats and those exercise but on the day of my induction they did a check to see how dilated i am before proceeding and i was still at 1cm. Yes i fear alot, i think alot, stress about it alot and cried about it too. I decide to accept the way it was meant to be and went for the induction, 2hr-3hr later my cervix dilated to 3cm and that was good progress. At that point i felt the contraction pain and to me it was quite bearable. Over time the pain only increases and i know my body was stressed out. I tried to hold in the pain as much as i can. It was very painful but i was trying my very best to not get the epidural. I endured the pain for so long but it doesnt help to dilate my cervix further, i was at 4cm-5cm for many many hours and it doesnt dilate more. I knew i couldnt “push” the baby well if i was in that intensed pain so i gave in to my body and opt for an epidural. It does give me comfort and because i no longer feel the pain, my body was able to relax and that was when my cervix dilated fast and eventually reached 10cm. I an a first time mum too so i was clueless and scared of all the unknown, i dont want to end up being operated too. This was all the factors that made my body tensed up and because of stress my cervix refused to dilate. My advise to u is to try to stay as calm as u can in order for u to dilate. But some things are not easily controlled, i was a no no epidural person but it turns out to be something that helped me relaxed and dilate at the end, managed to give birth normally too. At the end my gynae told me that i actually have a very soft cervix which is supposed to dilate easier but because of my tensed level it made cervix not wanting to open up. I hope my story somehow gives u motivation to calm u down and try to be relaxed, or at least it gives u an idea of what to expect and how u can react to it later okie. I did eat dates because it was said to help soften the cervix. Maybe it does but my stress end up controlling my body. I pray that things will go smoothly for u and u dont need any surgery. If u want the epidural to help u, then u should okay. Dont be like me who tried to take in all the pain but i end up having to be in so much pain for very long hours with no further dilations. *virtual hugs* u can do this. :)

Read more

yes its normal babe! i gave birth naturally to my firstborn 2 years ago and told myself (while having contractions) that 1 kid is enough cause this contraction pain is unbearable! but! i got pregnant again when my firstborn was only 2 months old. again, while having my contraction, i said to myself "this time i'm really done!". my second born was in a breech position, so the process of giving birth naturally is slightly different, risky and so much more painful. but i trusted my body. and now, i'm 19 weeks pregnant with my third. 😅 so what i'm trying to say is- all that thought about 'zero pain tolerance', all that scary thought about giving birth naturally or via c-sect, ALL OF THAT will go away the moment you are on that bed and getting ready to birth your child. because at that point of time you have to do whatever it takes to bring your child into this world so you can see their face, hear their cries and hug them. pain will come and pain will go but at the end of the day, you'll be a happy happy mama with a happy happy baby. and THAT is forever. đŸ„° May you have a safe delivery whichever method it may be. You'd be surprise at how brave, strong and capable you are! 💛💛

Read more

i went thru induction and natural birth few mths ago for my stillborn. everything happened so fast and i was not prepared to give birth at all. it just make me even more determined to go for elective c-sec for my current pregnancy bcoz the wait for dilation is crazy long and painful. the check for dilation is super painful as well, more painful than any injection or inserting the epidural needle, and u can only get epidural at 3/4cm dilated. before that all i can get is laughing gas or painkiller injection to help ease the contraction pain. and i dont get to eat properly throughout. i do not have the appetite since im in pain or too weak to eat. i have seen many ppl said c-sec is actually not that bad, and to be honest the process is so fast. 30 mins or less and baby is out. is only the recovery process takes longer. and c-sec help to eliminate some risks which we can better relax or feel assured that our baby will come out fine. nonetheless, hope u are more mentally prepared and brave through this!!!

Read more

Hi Babe, firstly, it’s pretty normal that you felt the anxiety of giving birth. But tell you, you don’t have to. I just gave birth last June on my 1st baby, I was suppose to be induce when Baby doesn’t come out week after my due. But fortunately, baby come out on the exact day of my EDD. I was happy that I wasn’t induced, coz honestly I don’t want to. The only painful I can say are, 1 : labor, contraction 2: epidural (though it’s not that painful than I expected) 3: the stitches while it’s healing 4: your first time poop after giving birth 😅 The rest is tolerable. You can make it, Babe! Just pray and stay strong. Remember it will pass, it’s just a matter of sacrifice. God Bless!

Read more

I’ve also 0 pain tolerance that’s why I opted for Csect. Hahaha the only painful part was the epidural đŸ€Ł I cried. But other than that, don’t listen to Csect horror stories too much like I did. Cos it wasn’t as painful as what others said. I was alr off the bed walking on the 2nd day. I relied on pain killers for the first week and there really isn’t much pain, it was more of a muscle cramp/ache. The only pain I had was the pain of being sleep deprived when baby is out and the never ending breast feeding sessions đŸ„Č

Read more

I think a lot of us also the same. Was sooo stressed when doing the GD test because need to take blood 3 times because I was scared of the pain and blood from needles. very scared of pain and blood. Can't imagine how I will be able to tahan labour. Hopefully no c section where need to cut the tummy. đŸ˜±đŸ˜±đŸ˜± I'm also very scared of the tube insertion (to be inserted into vein) as well as the epidural. I dont know how I will survive labour đŸ„ČđŸ„ČđŸ„Č Can only pray that I get through this...

Read more

Hi, I just give birth near end of July. Thru c sect. And I would say it was almost painless just remember to take those pain killers that doc give. The feeling that u will probably feel it’s more like a cramp feeling not pain. U will be able to walk slowly on the 2nd day. Trust me I have never regretted choosing c sect. I hope u will have a smooth delivery ! đŸ™đŸ»

Read more
7mo ago

Me too! But the second day was pain for me 😝 I couldn’t walk at all!

Take care and think happy thoughts. I have low to zero pain tolerance, so I opt for c section. If you’re worrying about C-section, let me share my experience with u. The whole process was a breeze and my recovery is smooth. Hopefully it helps to relax u even a little bit.

yes you will be nervous. I had to go for c sect cause was emergency case and baby was in breached position. Just remember to take your pain killer given by the doctor. Slight pain at a certain position is a definite but not as bad. I even get afraid of injections.

You're not alone!! FTM here going to 39w and same as u too... except im waiting to even set an induction date as im not yet dilated. The anxiety is real... let's jiayou together