My nipples have turned sore from breastfeeding. Any remedy to heal them? My lo is 3 months old and I have to exclusively breastfeed her.

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Don't worry as sore nipples are very common in mothers who are breastfeeding their infants. In your case, it seems, it's due to your baby being unable to latch on properly during breastfeeding. Here are some home remedies you can try for the treatment of sore nipples: 1. If you get sore nipples due to breastfeeding, breast milk will be an excellent home remedy. You can use your own breast milk to get rid of sore nipples. The breast milk can heal sore, cracked, bleeding or blistered nipples and its antibacterial properties can support you in treating sore nipples -- How to use: - Apply a few drops of breast milk on the sore nipple before and after breastfeeding. - Let it dry thoroughly. - Do this many times a day until the condition improves. 2. Warm compress is a great home remedy for sore nipples, too. It helps you soothe sore nipples, ease discomfort and aid healing -- How to use: - Dip a compress in warm water. - Wring it out and then place it on your breasts for a few minutes. - Do this many times a day to have positive result. However, you should apply this home remedies for sore nipples at least 10 minutes before breastfeeding. 3. Ice is an excellent home remedy for sore nipples to get temporary relief from pain due to sore nipples. Ice will numb the tender area and reduce the swelling. How to use: - Wrap a few ice cubes in a thin towel and place it on the sore nipples for several minutes. - Do this several times a day to improve the condition. 4. Tea tree oil is a good home remedy for sore nipples because its antiseptic properties can support you in getting rid of sore nipples and minimizing the risk of further instances of sore nipples -- How to use: - Mix a drop of tea tree oil with one tablespoon of coconut oil or olive oil. - Apply it to the nipple and let it dry. - Gently rinse with warm water and pat dry before feeding. - Do this several times a day to have the best result. 5. To prevent and get rid of sore nipples, correct positioning of the baby when breastfeeding is very essential. An exact position should follow this way: - The baby’s lips lie flat on your breast and turn out, while his chin presses on your breast. - Place your fingers between his lips to stop the suction before you pull him off the breast. - Should not pull away when your baby is feeding. Hope it helps!

Read more

Dont use any oils, clean with warm depth cloth... Continous breastfeeding will automatically cure... Or else apply the same milk from ur breast... If you apply oil is not good for baby health

VIP Member

I use lansinoh but also a nipple shell when I am not breastfeeding so that it can have some air time. But once your nipples gotten used to it already, it shouldn’t feel sore.

In my experience I did not use anything. It will heal on its own just continue breastfeeding. It’s really painful though.

VIP Member

I didn't do anything but I air them at night. sort of helps as there is minimal abrasion.

VIP Member

medela nipple cream is Very good. no need to wash off after using.

VIP Member

I used medela nipple cream. Works quite well for me

I use earth mama nipple butter. Very good!

i just use olive oil..very good !

5y ago

dan dia suka kepit sambil tarik😑

right but shour confirm