fake nipples

My wife is requesting for fake nipples as she fears my 5 month old baby boy might hurt her while suckling. Is it safe to use fake nipples? Should we consult doctor whether we should be using them?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There are pros and cons to nipple shields or fake nipples. Pros include: 1) Building confidence, for both baby and mother. They can also reduce frustration and pain for the mother. 2) Nipple shields can help draw out a flat or inverted nipple when used at the beginning of a feeding. Cons of nipple shields include: 1) Decreasing the amount of milk the baby gets; they also can reduce milk supply if the baby is not getting as much milk as they would from the straight breast. 2) The mother may also be at an increased risk of getting clogged ducts, or mastitis. Using a nipple shield before exhausting all other techniques can affect the baby’s ability to transfer to a bare breast, making breastfeeding almost impossible. Consequently, weaning the baby off the shield can be difficult. If you want to find out more, it's always good to check with your doctor. https://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/qa/nipple-shield

Read more

Nipple shield is typically used to help assist babies with latching difficulties. Often, it is recommended by lactation consultant if the mother has flat, short or inverted nipples. At times when the mother has severely sore or damaged nipples from breastfeeding, the shield could help act as a barrier while the nipple heal. It is best to consult with a doctor as usage of the shields could affect milk supply and the amount that the baby gets (as mentioned by Idza). It is best to find out more from a lactation consultant if it is needed or recommended before making a decision. If you and your wife decide to get one, here is an article with some using guideline on how to choose a suitable shield: http://www.justbreastfeeding.com/sore-nipple-management/nipple-shield-guidelines/

Read more

i would suggest your wife to try feeding without the fake nipples and see how it goes. If it still does bother her or causes pain ( a little bit everyone goes through), then consult with a doctor first before buying one.

VIP Member

I tried nipple shield. Honest opinion. No point for me cozz my lo doesnt like it. Eventually nipple will hurt, i juzzz apply Nipple cream lor.

thanks