I feel like I have got an infection in one of my nipples while breastfeeding my six-month-old baby. What should I do? Should I continue breastfeeding my baby?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Not too sure what kind of infection you may be having. If you are having yeast infection (or thrush), you can probably continue to breastfeed your baby. Yeast infection has the following symptoms: Experienced by the mother - red or pink shiny skin (on the nipple) that usually itches, and may flake or peel - there may be tiny blisters - severe stinging, burning pain on the surface of the nipple (but could also be felt deep inside the breast) - may also get symptoms of vaginal yeast infection Experienced by the baby - creamy white spots or patches inside the mouth - baby may be fussy, gassy and sucking may be uncomfortable for him/her - red/bright pink rash may also be found in baby’s diaper area You can try the following to help ease the symptoms of the infections on your nipple: - Nurse frequently for shorter amounts of time, start nursing on the least sore side. - After nursing, rinse the nipples with a solution of one cup of water mixed with one tablespoon of vinegar. Air dry well. - Wash hands often (before and after nursing, after using the bathroom, and before or after changing the baby’s diaper). Use hot, soapy water and paper towels. - Decrease consumption of foods containing high amounts of sugar and/or yeast (such as beer, wine, sodas, bread, desserts, etc.). It is still best to consult with your doctor to identify the type of infection and treat the condition. For more information on yeast infection: https://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/articles/yeast-infections-or-thrush This article provides a good summary of common breastfeeding conditions (information on yeast infection is found on pages 2 and 3): http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/features/breastfeeding-sore-nipples

Read more

No matter what kind of infection you are having it's best to be treated with antibiotics so your infection doesn't get passed back and forth from baby to you. Any pictures or symptoms of your infection?

Thanks Stephanie. Though i'm not having fever, the nipple has become quite sore and painful. There is also a slight discharge, which does not look like breast milk.

Does your nipple have pus or blister? Or just stinging pain when u nurse your bb? Do check with lactation consultant.

Just pain, no pus as of now. I will go and check.Thanks :)

thanks