My three year old daughter has stopped taking her afternoon nap. How do I get her back to the routine?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Unlike kids aged 18 months to under three years, kids aged 3 to 4 years may not need to nap in the afternoon since they get sufficient sleep at night. That's bummer news, I know, since we soooo love our quiet afternoons when the kids are asleep. Most toddlers sleep a total of 11-12 hours a day - so, let's say, your daughter sleeps 12 hours straight at night, then you can't expect her to take a nap in the afternoon. If your daughter's not having any naps and remains too alert for a nap, perhaps you could try a different routine altogether and have an earlier bedtime instead?

Read more

if your baby is getting at least 10 to 12 hours of sleep otherwise, at night, i feel it's absolutely alright for her to not take an afternoon nap. my 3 year old sometimes takes a 1 or 2 hour nap in the day, but on days when she doesn't, she falls asleep really early in the evening and then wakes up straight in the morning. if you think she gets cranky without her afternoon nap, try tucking her in nonetheless. even if she does not sleep, try to get her to lie down with you and rest for some time.

Read more

I guess, if you will also sleep by her side it will help. Make an atmosphere. First feed her well, so that she doesn't ask for feed soon after you have winded up everything. Then take her to her sleeping room, close the curtains, and yourself pretend to be sleeping, she might still play on the bed for a while but seeing you sleeping, she will eventually doze off. It works with my daughter, hope work for you as well.

Read more

Wake her up earlier in the morning and get her to use up her energy with some activities. Probably can exercise or do some physical activities before the desired nap timing then have a shower to unwind and nap. Not all toddlers need an afternoon nap and do be prepared that introducing an afternoon nap may lead to a later bedtime as well.

Read more

thanks