My three year old daughter just does not like vegetables. In the name of vegetables, all she eats are - potatoes (in any form), onion/ tomato/ garlic that I use to cool Lentils. And she is fond of mushrooms (but that's not a vegetable). I have tried various tricks like wrapping in the roti or making a sandwich or a homemade pizza... She'll just spit out the veggie piece.

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My daughter is 3 years old too, and she does not vegetables as well. Yes, she will also spit out any veggie piece in her mouth. Recently, I manage to get her to try the greens. I repeatedly telling her, sharing with her the benefits of vegetables through storytelling or through educational video clips. Eg: There was a story about a cartoon character tiger who was not tall enough get the balloon which floated up to the ceiling and a cartoon character rabbit who was taller, helped the tiger to retrieve the balloon. Using this story, I told her that if she eat vegetables she will grow taller faster, become taller than all her friends and be able to help her friends to retrieve things which are beyond their reach. Everytime she eat vegetables, I will praise her and encourage her by reminding her that she will be taller then her friends and be able to help them.

Read more

My nephew is exactly the same. You can try giving her "white" vegetables like cabbage and cauliflower as those are sweeter and a milder "vegetable" taste. For the darker green vegetable, you can try making roasted broccoli: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/parmesan-roasted-broccoli-recipe.html or veggie chips: http://www.kidspot.com.au/15-healthy-fruit-and-veggie-chips/ Trying different types of textures may help. My nephew ended up liking the baked broccoli and spinach chips as those are crunchy. With seasoning, the "vegetable" taste is not as strong and he now enjoys having those as snacks. Hope you find something that works too!

Read more

I sat down with mine and explaimed everything I knew about vitamins an immune system. We drew germs and "soldiers" from our body that fight germs and infections. I then told him that his soldiers need some food and the food they need are the vitamins in fruits and veggies. Then I went on telling him that he needs to eat a rainbow of colors every day. That's how we did it. He now eats even broccoli without any issues! He understands it's for his own good.

Read more

My 5 yrs old does not like veg. She will spit out the slightest green veg in her rice or noodles. No matter what I told her, she just won't eat. Until recently, we watched a cartoon on growing taller n stronger n having a good balanced diet. She started asking for some veg n we encouraged n praised her, making a big deal. So now, she will eat her selected veg. It takes time for children to accept the greens so we just have to keep trying.

Read more

Research consistently shows that children who have initially rejected a food must be exposed to it at least 8-10 times for the food to be accepted. Many parents have had success with the “one bite rule,” requiring the child to try at least one solid mouthful of a rejected food whenever it is served. After enough exposures the food will be more familiar to the child and usually they begin to rate it more favorably.

Read more

Hiding it in food may not be a good option as they may feel that you are lying to them and will learn this. In this way, you may be teaching her the wrong thing again which is unhealthy. Share with her the goodness of eating vegetables slowly. She may not start eating yet but at least, she is aware of the goodness. Slowly after that, you can introduce vegetables to her one at a time.

Read more

Try making veggie nuggets -- those usually work even for the most extreme rejecters of vegetables. Cut the veggies into small pieces and mix them into potatoes that have been softened, after which you mould them into nugget shaped bits. Lightly egg wash the nuggets and lightly fry them till golden brown.

Read more

You may wish to share with her that vegetables are very nice ... making her beautiful and appealing to others. Explain to her the benefits of vegetables at the same time. In this way, you can educate her and teach her the right thing. Do things slowly so as not to jeopardize the whole process.

Read more

Great question. I suggest making them like vegetables by buying them stuff toys of veggies that they can sleep with and reading them or making up stories of the wonderful adventure of princess carrot or prince brocolli. ;)

Same problem with my Ger.. So I use white asparagus and chop it up and cooked it with her porridge or fried rice. Same colour as the rice. The only vegetables she will eat besides carrots and pumpkin.