I am starting to have problems when it comes to feeding my child vegetables. Before she doesn't mind them and just eats everything up. But now she's turning 4 years old, she's becoming picky in what she eats. Is this just a phase for this age? Any tips on how to make them eat vegetables? Thanks!

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

At 4 years, kids tend to be more discerning and picky with food because they have been exposed to many kinds of foods and they are aware of what is "good" and what is "yucky". They would probably have their first taste of sweets, snacks and maybe even fast food so it is inevitable that they will equate foods like vegetables as unpalatable compared to the other stuff. Perhaps you can try to be more creative with presentation as well as be clever with how you serve the vegetables. To be honest, veggies can look unappetizing when you just dump them on the plate so perhaps a fun and quirky arrangement could help. Also, you can choose colourful veggies like bell peppers, carrots and sweet potatoes instead of the boring greens. Mixing veggies with other food groups like starch, meats and grains will "hide" them and will make the kids more inclined to eat them. Meatballs with chopped veggies or vegetable nuggets are some ideas you can try :)

Read more
8y ago

Good points! Thank you. I should probably research on how to make vegetables look nice to look at and to eat too.

pls don't force feed. each year they grow older, they are developing a choice factor. the right to free will is every human beings right. no age barriers to that. as long as she eats 1 vegetable or just eats a little food every 2 hours and is active and alert, don't worry about food...just make whatever she likes. shes at an age which requires many more things to learn, explore and experience...so focus on providing all the other needs also...I went thru this same issue wity younger son, and discovered that he's picky eater but he ate something small every 2-3 hours. hence I shifted to teaching him other things.

Read more

my pre-schoolers love fresh vegetable salad. put the greens with some fruits, chicken, cheese and croutons. i think the dressing does the trick.