My gynae has advised me not to carry any weights. Does anyone know how many kgs is dangerous? Is picking up my niece who weighs 10kg not safe?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As a general guideline, don't lift anything heavier than 20 pounds if you're pregnant. When you're pregnant, your ligaments loosen and your joints become less stable, so it's easier to injure yourself. As your belly grows, your center of gravity shifts forward too. This puts more pressure on your lower back and makes it more vulnerable to strain – especially when you're lifting something heavy. Do practice these safe lifting habits when you're pregnant: -Bend from the knees -Keep your back straight -Use your legs rather than your back muscles -Carry the load close to your body -Be careful not to twist -If the load causes straining, don't carry it http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-true-that-pregnant-women-shouldnt-carry-heavy-objects_10310767.bc

Read more

The amount of weight that a person can safely carry during her pregnancy depends on individual conditions. I have seen mommies who attend gym and carried weights throughout her pregnancy. However, for your case, since your Gynae has advised you not to carry weights, it will be safer to follow as it may be due to your physical condition. I will advise that you to avoid carrying your niece since she may move and kick which can be a little dangerous. You may want to consult your Gynae whether is it due to certain reason that he/she advised you not to carry weights? If yes, how heavy can you carry. For the time being, it's better to stay safe by avoiding heavy items.

Read more

As long as you are not overdoing it, it should be fine. Pick your niece up gently (not in a sudden/jerky motion). Like what Diana suggested, watch your posture, bend from the knees and keep your back straight. Lift her up by straightening your knees. If you experienced any pain or spotting, or fels uncomfortable doing that, then it’s better not to continue with carrying your niece. You can still show affection by holding her hands or cuddling her while seated.

Read more

By "carry weights", do you mean exercise-wise? Generally I've been told that it's best not to carry (too) heavy objects when pregnant because you could strain your back and pelvis. Here are some ways you can exercise in your first trimester: http://sg.theasianparent.com/pregnancy-questions-can-i-exercise/

Read more

thanks