My 9 month old cries violently when I say "No!" in a louder-than-usual and stern voice. This happens when she bites me while nursing. Is it too early to discipline her?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is never too early. Big big hugs for enduring the pain! When my baby started biting, i unintentionally just automatically screamed as the pain was so sudden! - cannot be helped, it was my natural reaction. He got shocked at first but he continued latching anyway and didn't even cry or get angry. At times when the pain was gradual i would unlatch straightaway, glare at him and tell him not to do that as it's painful. Once he understood what i mean, he sometimes just bite because he thinks it's funny and he doesn't bother if i scream or scold! After 6 of his teeth were fully grown at like about 14 months, i realized that his teeth would naturally just sink into the aerola or nipple so it wasn't his fault anymore - by this time the pain is bearable.

Read more

If baby bites, it will be better to calmly unlatch baby and say nothing and end the nursing session. It is the most effective way to teach baby that nursing and biting do not go together. It is not a good idea to scream or yell on purpose as a method to stop biting. Some babies find it funny that they continue to bite for the reaction and some are so scared that they go on a nursing strike. My baby bites me when he is teething and I unlatch him and tell him, "you don't want to nurse anymore? Let's play some toys" and stop the nursing. If he is not full yet he will want to nurse again but this time round, he doesn't bite but if he does at times, I will repeat the procedure again.

Read more

I agree that it is not too early to teach your baby not to bite you while nursing. Like what the others have suggested, it is best to unlatch and communicate to the baby (in a calm but firm voice) that she is hurting you by biting and that it is not appropriate. Your baby would be able to understand from your tone and soon learn what you are trying to teach her. Perhaps your baby cries because she was startled by the "louder-than-usual" volume. Try telling her in your normal voice but maintain a firm and stern manner.

Read more

Our baby does the same, she bites my wife when latching too. So what my wife does is to unlatch the baby and stares at her telling that's not good in a low but serious tone. Reine is right, some babies find it funny if you're correcting them. My baby just smiles at my whenever she tells her "that's not right." I find it funny too haha, although it's really painful for mummies. :)

Read more

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-3334)

thanks