My 2 weeks old baby didn't wake up for his feed. Last feed was about 7 hours ago. Should I wake him up or should I let him sleep?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi! For newborn babies, it's best to feed them every 2-3 hours. When they are newborn their stomach capacity is very little so they don't feed for a long time since they take only very little. This means that we need to make sure they are able to eat every few hours. Even if they are asleep we need to wake them up fully to feed them for a few minutes before letting them sleep again. Here is some useful information: http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/newborn-nursing/ When I gave birth the nurse in the hospital reminded me that babies who are dehydrated tend to sleep more and be less active so we need to initiate feeding to avoid dehydration in newborn babies.

Read more
8y ago

alright thanks for your advice!

yes at 2 weeks your baby is too small to sleep for so long without a feed. however, if this is a one-off case, then it is fine. i remember my first born would wake up every 1 or 2 hours for a feed in the first few weeks, but in case of my second one, she would sometimes sleep for an entire 6 to 8 hours without feed, in the first month. i was concerned and asked the doc, and he said it was absolutely fine, and that she was just catching up on her sleep. do speak to your baby's doc once. you can try waking him up gently after every 2 or 3 hours, or just let him latch on in sleep and see if he will feed.

Read more

newborns should generally be given a feed every 2 hours. a newborn baby is still too young to do on demand feeding, and even if he or she is hungry, he may not always wake up to ask for a feed. so, it is important you wake up your baby every 2 hours and feed him, till the time he gains the perfect weight and is at least 2 months old, by when he will know how to ask for a feed when he needs it. https://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/articles/waking-a-sleepy-baby

Read more

You should wake him up regularly every 2-3 hours. Some babies tend to sleep through their sleeping times and they become dehydrated - especially babies with jaundice. They'll be more drowsy and sleep for long hours. They need to be fed regularly. So do wake him up every 2-3 hours to just feed him.

8y ago

If he doesnt cry after he nurses when he's awake, means that he probably has enough.

at that 2weeks age, max i wait for 4hrs, then i wld wake her up to drink milk if she dint wake up on her own to cry for milk.