Hi Mummy, Is it a must to give baby teething toys? Any mummies here don't give teething toys to baby? And why?

28 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

When teething, babies would attempt to place things into their mouth. Babies will feel it comforting to chew when teething, most common they do are chewing blankies, fingers and edges of baby books are an easy target to chew on.  Teethers and Teething Toys are developed to create it softer and easier for babies to hold and put into their mouth. It feels silky and soothing for baby’s mouth to chew on, not only it is safe compare to other objects but knowing that your teether is free of BPA, phthalates, heavy metals or cadmium and other harmful chemicals, you will have a peace of mind. So when a little pressure is applied on the baby’s tender gums they will feel better, teether is designed to feel a real comfort by chewing it all day. If you don't wish to give teething toys, you might want to consider teething biscuits or foods.

Read more
VIP Member

There is no right or wrong, or a must to give as it depend on individual preference. When baby is teething, the gum will be painful, swollen and itchy. Thus baby will like to chew onto something to alleviate the pain. Baby may use its own finger or put things into the mouth. Thus common things people will use wil be teether, teething gel, pacifier, teething biscuits, frozen fruits or vege, freeze BM (like popsicle) etc. For me I give teether, teething biscuit and frozen BM. My LO loves it. I dont like him putting fingers into his mouth...hygiene and habit are my concerns. You may read up the few links below for understanding and ideas=) http://www.popsugar.com/moms/7-Ways-Soothe-Teething-Baby-27330357 http://www.babycentre.co.uk/x25007415/when-do-babies-start-teething

Read more

A lot of mothers prefer to use teething rings over any other means in alleviating the discomfort of baby teething. Unlike gels they are believed to be free of chemicals, and unlike teething biscuits there is no risk of baby digesting too much sugar, salt or any other food stuff that they don't need to eat. Teething rings have been around a long time and have come in all shapes and sizes. Hope it helps

Read more

You can give them a lot of food too! Some mummies don't give teething toys due to the plastic and chemicals. On this list you can find a couple of au natural things you can give your baby for teething, like carrot sticks! :D http://newsonrelevantscience.blogspot.sg/2012/02/10-safe-alternatives-to-teething-rings.html

Read more

Baby teething toys are beneficial, not only for helping relieve a baby’s pain, but also for helping a baby’s cognitive development. A teething toy allows a baby to develop motor-skills. A baby must see the toy, grab it, and guide it into the mouth in order for it to be chewed on.

I don't think there's ever a must to give teething toy. I don't give teething toy because when I did previously, my daughter just plays with it and she ease her teething pain by chewing the fingers on the free hand. Haha! So I just let her soothe herself using her fingers.

I think it's not a must to do but cause babies love to chew. So alternatively given a toy to bite. U can give baby teething biscuits too or food like apples, carrots etc. it's all depending on ur comfort level I feels.

Not a must, more of preference. I tried to give teething toys to my baby, however, it's too much of trouble to keep them clean. I'll give them a wet cold towel to 'chew' on or breastfeed them.

If you don't want to give baby teething toys, you can give him a hard, unsweetened teething biscuit, such as zwieback, to gnaw on..Just keep an eye on him and be mindful of choking.

Teething toys is to sooth their gum. They feel discomfort when their teeth start to grow. If not giving teething toys, they tend to grab anything to bite. That will harm their gum.