Currently subsidised route in NUH. When should I change to private?

Hi mummies! I’m worried about the expensive private costs. Any recommendation when is a good time for me to change to private NUH instead of subsidised? Ultimately I would like to stay in A class ward during delivery, and I know subsidised doesn’t allow for that. Thank you!

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hi. :) you can stay at subsidised route till about week 35. meanwhile, try calling in to ask on the availability of your preferred gynae and ask if you can book on prior first and switch to private route from week 35. they will advise further. tho, some gynaes may not want to accept... also depending on your health conditions. if there's complications, then prolly some of them wouldn't want you to switch. I'm currently at 38 weeks. I switched to private route at week 30 and also chose my gynae. however, the nurse said can actually wait till week 35... 🤭

Read more

It depends on which gynae you want, the popular ones would most prob be fully booked early. But i would suggest to do all the testings (NIPT, glucose, blood test, gwoth scan etc) under subsidized. Once youve hit 3rd trim can change so itll mostly just be consultations. And yes private every appt will have scans. Thats the good thing. I changed mine at 35 weeks as i actually just wanted A1 ward and good thing the gynae that i want is still available.

Read more
5mo ago

hello! by any chance, do u remember how much the bill was for ward A1?

my Edd is first week of nov. all along under subsidised route and then requested for a fixed gynae (private) around week 30, managed to get the fixed gynae at week 35. while still under subsidised route, I requested for some medication etc which is at cheaper rate. else once change to private, everything will be charged private rate. really cost saving by doing so.

Read more