Missed your pumping session?

Hi mummies, what do you do when you missed your pumping session? I’ve been starting the 3 hrs regime but when I have to be out running errands, I’ll missed one session by an hr or more. I’ll then hurriedly start the session and continue with the next pumping session punctually. However it gets so tiring as both session are probably like 1+ to 2 hours apart. So what will you do? Pump anyway or just skip and wait for the next session?

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hi dear, you don’t need to be so punctual. The breastfeeding journey is supposed to be rewarding and a great experience for both mum and baby. If you get so stressed out by keeping to such a fixed schedule, you won’t be able to sustain this for long too. During the day time, pump 2-4 hours, doesn’t need to be a fixed time. At night, initially if you’re establishing your milk supply, pump every 3-5 hours (depending on your comfort level). But once the supply is established, sleep if you can! Pump every 4-6 hours so you don’t get engorged. Your body is very smart and will know when to give you more milk within the day, once it understands your rhythm and baby’s needs. You need good sleep, loads of fluids and good nutrition as well to produce enough milk. So stop looking strictly at the clock and go with the flow ok?:) By the way, you’re doing a great job! And there is absolutely no shame in topping up/switching to formula if you want to stop breastfeeding. This is purely your decision, so don’t let anyone else tell you what to do. Enjoy this precious time:)

Read more
3y ago

Thanks so much… that’s really comforting and so good to know. I’ve been following the clock too strictly that I didn’t even realize that it’s stressing me out.