Hi mummies! Is it a must to have a play yard if I don't have a playpen? My house is already filled up with my baby girl's things. I've a parklon M size bubble mat in the living room. I'm in a dilemma, thinking whether to get a play yard for her. Would appreciate if the mummies here can advise on this! :)

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, I know, it is so comforting to see the child having his/her own space to play and be secure at the same time, but I think it is fine if you don't have a playpen. As for playpen you got to have an ample space and it is not possible in all circumstances to have a huge space for that. If you have a parklon done in your living room, that is quite fun to have for the kid and that gives the kid his/her own personal space to be. Otherwise if there is no issue of space, you can have a play yard for her, provided the fact that you do not expect her to always be in her play yard for play. Kids have their mood and it depends when they want to be in the play yard and when not.

Read more

Not a must. Nothing for playing is a must. Remember when we were young we also did not have such things like playmat playpen or play yard. We could learn things on our own too. I did not have any of these and did not even use a walker and I started walking at 10mo. And kids don't like to be constrained after a while. The play yard will be of no use later on. It is only for the first 1.5 years that I think it may be of use. They want to crawl and walk around to explore. Baby proof the house and supervise them will be better.

Read more

I have 3 kids and never owned a play yard. I let my kids crawl all over the place to explore. What I do is baby proof the house - eg put table corners, make sure no small objects or wires on floor, put safety gate to my kitchen, put safety cap on electric socket etc. I guess having the playard will ensure your child is within confine space, but as they get older, they may want to get out of it.

Read more
VIP Member

Playyard is only suitable IF you have a very big space to begin with. First of all, it's very space consuming, secondly, it differs with every child. Some likes to stay inside the playyard. Some likes to wander around. Since you have parklon mat in the living room, you can get those toy boxes to surround the playmat to create a 'wall'

Read more

Initially I also thinking to get play yard but fortunately I did not in the end. Taking up space and more work for me to wipe them regularly plus still need to post on Facebook groups to sell should you don't need it anymore.

VIP Member

you can go for renting of toys in sg :)