fighting sleep

Hi mummies! My LO (3 weeks old) tends to fight sleep and will fight to stay awake after his feeding at times. It can sometimes last until the next feed which is 2-3 hours later. We'll carry him when he fusses and cries, but once he's asleep, we put him down, he starts to cry again. The cycle continues until next feed. Are there any implications as I read that newborn should not be awake more than 45-60mins at 1 time. Pls advise! TIA!

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Once baby misses the 45-60min interval, he might become overtired and can’t sleep for the next few hours. Mine was like that too. That’s why need to strictly try very hard to make baby sleep. We found that a very snug swaddle helped to prevent baby from waking up when we put baby down. If baby just couldn’t stay asleep, I’d rescue the nap by latching to sleep or carrying. Because they really need to nap. And you also need baby to nap to stay sane and not burn out. Hope things improve soon.. and really consider using a swaddle:) if the wrap type doesn’t work, try the zip kind.

Read more

Thanks! It happens a few times a day. 😥 are you referring to the dream swaddle for the zip kind?