Gestational diabetes

Hi mummies, I’ve failed my glucose test and will be required to do home glucose testing twice weekly. What puzzled me was, I am not consistently high on sugar reading. I was doing fine for breakfast and dinner, because I had light meals. It’s only lunch that is the issue, as I tend to get very hungry and ate quite abit, thus the sugar reading was high. The doctor told me that they might put me on medication even when my sugar reading wasn’t consistently high? Why though? Any mummies here have any advice on what to have for daily meals?

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there, mama! I totally understand how frustrating it can be to deal with gestational diabetes. It's great that you're already monitoring your sugar levels at home and being mindful of your meals. It's not uncommon for sugar levels to spike after a larger meal, especially when you're pregnant and feeling extra hungry. The good news is that there are definitely ways to manage this without medication. First off, try to focus on having smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day. This can help keep your blood sugar levels more stable. For lunch, try incorporating more fiber-rich foods like whole grains, vegetables, and lean proteins. These can help slow down the absorption of sugar and keep you feeling full for longer. It might also be helpful to avoid high-sugar or high-carb foods, as these can cause your sugar levels to spike. Instead, opt for balanced meals that include a mix of carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats. If you find that your sugar levels are still consistently high despite these changes, it's important to work closely with your doctor to explore all available options. Sometimes medication may be necessary to ensure the safety of both you and your baby. Remember, every pregnancy is different, and what works for one mama may not work for another. Don't be afraid to reach out to a registered dietitian or nutritionist who can provide personalized meal planning and support. You're doing an amazing job taking care of yourself and your little one. Hang in there, mama! We're all here to support you through this journey. https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more