Failed OGTT.

I recently went for my OGTT, found out the result was very high and been told to have a healthy balance diet. I'm really clueless as to what I'm suppose to look out for, Yes the obvious is sugar intake but honesty, I've cut down alot on my sugar way before pregnancy so I still find it impossible that the result were high. Anyone can help enlighten me? Like What to eat for breakfast, lunch dinner? Oh not to forget, I don't take any supplements. Folic acid makes me nausea.

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Your gynae should have prescribed you supplements in 2nd trimester. It’s good to take to ensure you’ve sufficient everything. For diet: Replace white rice with brown rice, quinoa or other alternatives. For bread, choose wholemeal, soft grain, etc, you will see low GI logo on some of the packaging which means lower sugar/starch. Quit milk and replace with low / no sugar soy. Avoid starchy foods like potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. For fruits, don’t eat those with high sugar content like durians and bananas. No ice cream, cakes, chocolates, sweets. Avoid canned and packet drinks or choose low sugar options if available.

Read more

The dietician will advise you on this. Basically cut down on sugar & carbo but switch to brown rice, pasta, whole meal. Replace carbs with veggie and protein (eg: meat). You need to take note how you cook your meat as well (eg: deep fry, sweet sour, sweet gravy all these won’t work). Your high result is not because you didn’t cut down on ur sugar intake before ur OGTT test. It is a result of the body inability during pregnancy to make enough insulin to breakdown the glucose (insulin resistance), hence the high result. Therefore, we need to control what we eat to keep the glucose level healthy.

Read more
VIP Member

Hi! Do not be dishearten by the result. When we are pregnant, our hormonal change can cause a lot of different things. One of it is getting GDM. Please do bit skip meals. It is bad for your baby. However, lessen your carbs intake. Maybe take half bowl of brown rice, mee suah, whole grain bread. No sweet drinks at all. No snacks. Fruits only 1 portion a day. Ensure you take other supplement like folic acid and calcium.

Read more

Cut carbo..just eat more meat, egg, tofu, veg, less sugar fruits like guava... also eat in small meals or bites every 2 hours I failed borderline and was asked to control diet till delivery.. very emo co with not much carbo, u will get hungry easily... but wont gain too much weight on mummy

I failed mine too and need to prick 4x times a day. Cut down white carbs like white rice , noodles n bread. Change to brown rice , wholemeal. Eat berries for fruits. Only plain water, or no sugar drinks. Eat more protein like chicken and fibre like spinach, or dark green veg

VIP Member

Fruits have sugar too. Esp durian, grapes, mango. Must in moderation. Eat more wholegrain like oats, wholemeal bread. Take brown rice. Basically low GI food.

VIP Member

It's not just sugar you need to take note of. It's carbs! I realized my blood sugar level was much higher when I consumed carbo stuffs than sugary stuffs.

Hi, Cut down on carbs intake and start having more fruits and green leafy vegetables in your diet. But also do consult your gynae as well.

VIP Member

Its not only sugar. U have to cut down on carbo also.. i went thru a course in kkh n they will teach us how to control/change our diet..

they should have link you up w a dietician...they can advise on what to eat, the portion all