Gestational Diabetes

I just got my OGTT test result and turns out my third result which was the 120min was a little high 9.7 the doctor told me to come tomorrow and my mind is not at ease, as I am wondering if you're pregnant and have gestational diabetes do the doctor will prick your finger for glucose blood test? like often? because I've done that kind of finger prick test before and I hate it I rather get blood drawn from needle then finger prick.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I failed my OGTT second and third result recently. Visited doctor and dietitian yesterday. I’m with SGH. Was required to purchase glucometer and test my blood sugar 7x in one day - once a week and to follow diet plan. If you hate finger prick test but is required to test your blood sugar level, there’s one brand call freestyle libre sensor that you can check it out, cons is it remains on your arm for 14 days and cost more than glucometer since you’ve to change it again after 14 days, pros is don’t have to do finger pricking. I’ve started my finger pricking today and to be honest, the hurt level is just 0.5/10.

Read more
10mo ago

Most important is the diet plan. Reduce carbs. Eating by sequence -> fibers, proteins then carbs helps a lot too for me. Plain cornflakes + low fat milk or wholegrain wrap with 2x scramble egg without oil / butter, drizzle with kewpie mayo and McDonald’s chilli sauce can maintain my blood level sugar at 4+ to 5+, within range. 😂 Can have cheat meal of McMuffin sausage with egg since they use wholegrain muffin! Take care mummy! We can do it!

I’m with nuh, failed my 2nd result. Also had to purchase glucometer and test 7 times a day. 2-3 days a week. Was afraid of needle pricking, especially the very first time I tried to prick. However, after the initial fear, the pricking gets easier. You can adjust the needle length such that it doesn’t hurt.

Read more
10mo ago

Thanks. I had to the same thing as u did, I still get a bit of shock when i prick it but eventually after a few times I will get use to it