To go back to work now or later

Hello mummies, I would like to hear your opinions. I am a FTM and prior to this i was working full time. I came back from my maternity leave in March and served my notice period and left work end April this year. I was very sure that i wanted to be a SAHM until my girl turns 18 months or earliest until she turns 1 so i am able to watch her milestones before sending her to school. Currently my girl is 7 months + and i have been offered a part time job, 3 days work week 8:30am to 6pm on weekdays only (Mon, Tues, Fri) for 6 months. I am in a dilemma as i'm not 100% sure if i should take up this part time role now or should i wait at least until my girl turns 1. I have my own personal development in mind but at the same time i also feel guilty of leaving my child for work. My concern is that will it be difficult to find a job if i go back to workforce later on with 6mnths to a year gap in my career? Financial wise is not an issue as my hubby is supportive to whichever decision i make. I do have arrangement for my child to be taken care as well if i were to go back to work.

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I regretted going back to work when baby was 6 months. I was a workaholic for the past 15 years of my life. I left my job of 10 years during maternity to be with baby and decided to work when baby was 6 months. But it wasn’t easy with baby at ifc. I changed jobs within a span of 1 year. Baby is currently 17 months and I regretted not being fully committed to baby and all the time wasted rushing to ifc and work and back. Truly, follow your instincts. If money isn’t an issue then let’s just spend time with baby! It’s not difficult to enter the workforce within 6m-1 year gap. Just have an open mind and lay down your priorities well!

Read more