To go back to work now or later

Hello mummies, I would like to hear your opinions. I am a FTM and prior to this i was working full time. I came back from my maternity leave in March and served my notice period and left work end April this year. I was very sure that i wanted to be a SAHM until my girl turns 18 months or earliest until she turns 1 so i am able to watch her milestones before sending her to school. Currently my girl is 7 months + and i have been offered a part time job, 3 days work week 8:30am to 6pm on weekdays only (Mon, Tues, Fri) for 6 months. I am in a dilemma as i'm not 100% sure if i should take up this part time role now or should i wait at least until my girl turns 1. I have my own personal development in mind but at the same time i also feel guilty of leaving my child for work. My concern is that will it be difficult to find a job if i go back to workforce later on with 6mnths to a year gap in my career? Financial wise is not an issue as my hubby is supportive to whichever decision i make. I do have arrangement for my child to be taken care as well if i were to go back to work.

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Currently I'm 6 months pregnant and already considering on going back to work after 2 months of rest... Nothing to do with difficulty in finding a job with a gap year though... Although my hubby dotes on me a lot and is very understanding, I feel like by not working I am giving up my autonomy and decision-making rights and may not fully be able to make decisions I want for my baby. I read so many stories of wives wanting to make decisions that husbands don't approve but don't have a say anymore because they don't work and have an income. I feel that if my hubby don't want to buy something or do something because he thinks it's a waste of money, then at least I can buy it on my own... For example, currently I am thinking of getting a good air purifier for my baby's room, but my hubby feels that its a waste of money and our air con is good enough. Theres no need to argue too much, if I have my own income, I'll be able to get it myself. Of course that's only my opinion on this matter. You may think otherwise. Don't think the 1 year gap will be any problem. I have lots of gaps in my resume, whether I took breaks to study or freelance, as long as you have legitimate reasons, and not because you just want to slack or because you went to jail or something, don't think it is a problem.

Read more