Massive weight gain during pregnancy

Hi mummies, I would like to ask if any of you gained a lot of weight during pregnancy? I'm currently pregnant with my 2nd baby but I gained a lot during my first pregnancy, which was in 2018 to 2019. My initial pre pregnancy weight was 60kg but during my first pregnancy, I let loose as I had difficulty eating normal food which ends up with me gaining up to 96kg - weight gain of approximately 36kg. My health was fine, there was no gestational diabetes and no hypertension or whatsoever. Baby did end up on the bigger side but that was also due to hereditary as my family genetics are all on the bigger baby side. I was trying to lose weight when I got pregnant again this year, my first baby was only 9mths old. This time my pre pregnancy weight started at 81kg and now I'm reaching 100kg. As per previous pregnancy, my health and baby's health were all fine. My doctor said it's okay as my pre pregnancy weight started at 81kg and my weight gain so far is okay. I'm just worried that I might have a hard time losing weight. I had always been on the bigger side, abt 70kg plus and I managed to lose a lot before my wedding. It took so much blood, sweat and tears to lose all those weight and I know I'll have to do it again if I wanna lose all the weight I've gained thus far. Do you have any advice on when I can start losing weight after giving birth and what I can do other than exercising? If I'm breastfeeding, can I still go on diet and stuff like that? I would really appreciate your advice on this. Also, I would really appreciate if you don't criticize me on the weight gain as I've had enough of that from myself. Thank you in advance.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mummy! I’m in the same situation as you! I was 56kg before I was pregnant and I gained a massive amount! The last I remembered I was almost 90kg on the day I gave birth! I had the worst hunger pangs therefore it’s not a shock I gained that much weight. Though I was very heavy, I had no health issues too, my gynae saw there’s no problem and told me to just eat healthily. My baby came out on the heavier side as well however it could be due to the fact that my husband is a big man 😂 Anyway I lost 20kg right after I gave birth and during confinement. I didn’t had much appetite during then cause of my post natal blues but soon after when I’m up and well I started eating normally. My weight is now in 70s range and it’s harder cause I barely exercise since I’m still on maternity leave and taking care of my LO. But I plan to hit the gym during my lunch time when I start work! I’m not in a rush to lose all the baby weight even though too many people are commenting on it.I guess you can’t rush certain things, lose it healthily and more importantly it shouldn’t make u unhappy! Yes you can diet, just stick to healthier food that provides milk for your baby! Like dates! As for the losing weight part, start 3months after will be great! You can start by going for brisk walks with your baby, drop two stops away from home and walk back or take the stairs. I hope it helps and don’t worry too much mummy! You’re doing great 😉

Read more
4y ago

Don’t worry my dear! It’s going to be a tough journey, there will be days you will feel awful about yourself I’m not going to lie. It won’t always be butterflies and rainbows but remember when you gained the weight it’s for your baby! Start slow yeah, build the momentum! Your body could go into shock if u start too hard and fast. Drink water, no sweet drinks. No plain carbs, maybe take couscous and soba instead of white rice and starchy noodles. Indulge in good food once a week, like burgers and fries but clean the rest of the days. Maybe you can incorporate your husband too, like ask him to accompany you to exercise and u both eat clean together to make it for fun! My husband and I are struggling to lose the baby weight together hahaha!! I hope you don’t stress yourself too much on this and enjoy motherhood! The weight will come off eventually. 😊😊