Hi mummies, I would like to ask how can I increase my milk supply? I've tried: 1) pumping regularly 2) lactation cookies 3) drinking milo 4) taking supplement given by hospital when discharge for milk supply 5) hydrating myself with plenty of water 6) consuming lots of fish 7) let my LO(2months old) to latch, but he always cry and refuse to latch Seeing my supply reducing tremendously after confinement make me very depressed, please help me During confinement my milk supply for each pumping session can reach 160-200ml. But now it's only 40-50ml the most, sometimes even lesser.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Expressing 40-50ml is just normal for some people, that's about as much as I get when I express. The amount that you express is not the amount that baby gets when direct latching, pumping is harder. Baby is much more effective, so keep on direct latching. I know my baby drinks about 80-100ml when taking EBF from bottle. During the first few weeks (or during confinement) your supply is regulating and your body is defining the amount of milk required. Ideally you shouldn't be expressing in the first few weeks. I'd say that keep on direct latching, having skin to skin, should be ok. Drinking lots of water is important too (I drink about 5 litres a day).

Read more