hi mummies, how many of you were middle managers and decided to step down from your portfolio? did it require a lot of courage and did you have any regrets? im in a huge dilemma whether i shld step down. baby is now 10 plus month. i want to spend more time nurturing yet lack the courage to cut down on my work. anyone can offer me some wisdom here?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I gave up my high pay job to be a SAHM as time don't wait. Come to think of it I actually regretted not doing it earlier and have missed all my firstborn's development milestones. I take care of my second child all by myself from day 1 up to 14 months before I start putting her in ifc for half day to do some freelance job. From able to buy anything I want to I need think twice on simple want. It is a great change but definitely worth it to witness every milestone of my children. The happiness and proudness on my children's face when they see me joining them for every activities conducted in school is awesome; the sense of accomplishment got when my kids tell me how much love they love me due to all the times I spend with them is indescribable. Everything come with a trade-off too. For me is to accept the not so nice comments from my mil and no personal time. However, different people have different priorities and commitments in life. You need to work out the finance, your priorities with your another half. What work for me might not be the best solution for you. I have friends who need to work to be a "happy" Mommy with their kid as they can't stand staying at home or doing housework all day. Only you know what is the best for your family and yourself.

Read more

It's not so simple. Everyone will say it's best to be able to enjoy ur kids fully. But there are a lot more issues u should consider. Not everyone personality can be SAHM. U will have lesser adult conversations, do lesser adults things, maybe not meet ur friends as much, start to talk like a Aunty (groceries how much etc). Ur family expenses and lifestyle changes. Ur expectation of ur financial savings, investment and how u both want to manage the money. A lot more. Pple will always assume u have a lot of time and free when in fact u are always busy. Not simple. Personally I would cut back but not quit if possible. I don't think I will be v employable so many years down the road and not sure if I wana start right from the bottom. I feel that job also gives some kind of personal fulfillment. Time waits for no man, kids will not be kids forever, but when the kids grow up and have their own friends and not hang out w u or married already, what will be left of u? So I think best is to have a part time or something away from the kid to help u have a personal sense of fulfiment that is not dependent on others or ur child, but on u

Read more

Time waits for no man. You can always return to work again and start. You won't be able to turn back time once you have missed baby early years. It depends on what is worth it to you. You need to logic with yourself, what you feel is best for you. Everyone have different priorities. Being a sahm is not for everyone, ideally it's the best. Similar to breastfeeding, it's the best, but it's not for everyone. End of the day keeping your sanity is more important.

Read more

I love being a stay home mom, money can't buy time. Though i must say that the adjustment period was tough, expenses and living lifestyle had to change

Weigh out the pros and cons. Are your family able to handle the finances changes from being 2 income to 1 income?

VIP Member

Yes. Step down and slowly nuture your kids. Your kids will only remain young for the very few years of their life.