Breastfeeding and pumping?

Hi mummies. Ftm. If I chose to bf do I need to pump? Considering I don’t have letdown and my boobs are not sooo full but I know there’s milk enough for my baby’s feeding cause she’s showing enough output. Cause I used to pump in the morn and bf at night but I’m considering to bf throughout day and night. So again do I really need to pump?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes, to build a small stash as backup in case u fall sick or suddenly have drop in supply. Initially, I pumped once or twice per day for first few days after supply kicked in as I was engorged but thereafter, demand=supply, so I got lazy since I was exclusively direct latching 24/7. Then a few days after my confinement, I got clogged ducts in my right boob and started developing body aches on the same night as if I was going to have a fever (but turned out to be due to lack of sleep). I applied cold compress on the boob to reduce pain and stopped breastfeeding for fear of spreading virus to my baby. End up, I used up most of my stash since there wasn’t much to begin with. Now am struggling to pump as I felt my supply somehow decreased, so I can barely have enough to feed baby. However, now, while feeding baby, I try to collect the letdown from the other boob using Haakaa whenever I can, to build up a small stash.

Read more
Super Mum

If you're latching there's really no need to pump. But if you want a small stash for rainy days, you could just use a Haakaa to collect milk on the othet side while baby latches. I don't have much of a letdown too - only collecting 30-40ml each time but it definitely helps to store some e.g., when you're sick or during menses when supply can be affected.

Read more
TapFluencer

You can don't need to pump but you can haakaa to keep the milk incase. My experience is if you bf your baby only you won't have freedom. Baby are smart they will reject bottle. So if suddenly you have errands to run you have to bring baby along. Giving direct feeding will also make baby reject frozen breastmilk too.

Read more
Super Mum

If you have enough and you’re happy to keep latching, then there’s no need to pump. But if you’d like to bottle train your baby for later, then you may want to pump and store some milk for the training and subsequent conversion

For me , I pump out during the day & latch during the night . I would always pump out as I not sure how much my LO drinking if latching .

Super Mum

You may want to pump either to improve output or to build a milk stash for when you're back to work. Otherwise there's no need

Hi, I would suggest no need to pump if you are latching and if it is sufficient for the baby

VIP Member

Hi... if you’re breastfeeding via direct latching, there’s no need to pump

TapFluencer

If latching no need