Did anyone request to remove/cut your perineal stitches before it dissolves by itself?

Hello mummies! Does anyone go to your gynae for special request in removing the perineal stitches earlier before it dissolves? I am a first-time mum, who went through a vaginal birth. Episiotomy was done and my baby came out healthy at 3kg. But the problem is even after 12 days postpartum, I can tell my wounds are completely healed, lesser blood discharge but the stitches just doesn't want to dissolve... I can only describe this feeling as 'Gao wei' in dialect or uncomfortable. I can't sit or walk properly and even sitting on a float doesn't help. Furthermore, I can't even burp my newborn because sitting down was a hassle. Have been sleeping on my side as well and there will be slight pain only at night. Please advise and also I deliver in KK hospital (Private package), do state which hospital are you in as well, thank you :)

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I gave birth at kkh but via subsidised route. I just wait for the stitches to completely dissolve by itself which prolly took abt 1 month. That’s like the time given when confinement end. I don’t think that’s a need to be so rush and paranoid as you need abt 6 weeks time to heal actually. You can always consult your gynae on your follow up check up. Use a sitz bath or swimming float to help you in sitting down. Best is to lie down of course.

Read more
VIP Member

Blood discharge lesser doesn’t mean is the blood from the wound. For my first birth it took me around 3 weeks to be able to sit and walk around. For my second birth the pain is only the next day after that I can walk around and the wound healed within one week. It really depend on how long is the stitch. Did you go back to your gynae for follow up check? Just gave birth to my second one at TMC

Read more

i had 2nd degree tear for both kids.... it takes at least 1 month for the stictches to dissolve. Please consume the pain medicine given by hospital as well as take orange juice as it has vit c for fast recovery. Both deliveries at KKH.

It does take about a month or month n half to heal and dissolve the stitches... Thats why u will be asked for follow up visit after a month meanwhile, staying on the painkillers would really help.

i don’t think the wound heals so fast within 12 days.. the uncomfortable feeling is not likely to be caused by the stitches but more from the healing tissues in the area..

I went back to see my gynea 2 weeks aft delivery and she remove the undissolve stitches. I'm seeing Pte gynea at tmc