Did you start a family before or after you get your own apartment?

Hi mummies and daddies, as the qns above suggest. Did you have kids before or after you get your own apartment? If it’s before, where did you stay? With in laws or rented a house outside? Thanks for your input in advance.

27 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

After. It feels more comfortable to be staying at our own house and knowing that these external help (in-laws or parents) need not be permanent. I personally don’t wish to burden the older ones when it’s time for them to relax and do their own things after long years of working and caring for us. But I’ve a lucky friend with a super young mum aka grandma who’s a housewife and also physically fit to take care of the grandchild. I also have a friend who somewhat got chased out by in-laws cuz the in-laws want back their “freedom” after taking care of my friend’s 2 babies HAHAHA interesting to uds how different grandparents think

Read more

Staying with my in laws before our bto is ready, advise is DONT 😂 Not that my in laws are nasty or what, they absolutely love & care for my lo, just that because they love lo so much, they tend to nag at anything & everything under the sun that they think is not good for lo... lo sneeze, lo sweat, lo poop watery, lo not pooping for 1 day, lo pooping more than once 1 day... all become mummy's fault... And u will really need that personal space & time to bond with ur lo alone after u give birth!

Read more
4y ago

Jiayou! Just remember to try your best to explain & reassure your in laws that nothing's wrong with lo when they nag etc, and communication with hubs is very important to make sure both of u are on the same page! Let him settle anything to do with his parents 😂

Before. Currently staying with in laws but since we have our baby we are renting a place with hdb. Once you have your own small family, it’s best to stay on your own, not with your parents nor in laws. A growing child needs their own space and so do the parents raising the child. For sanity sake!

i got my apartment before getting married under fiancee scheme but not BTO. We went for resale flat cos I want to be 5 mins close to my parents. hehe. so we finished reno just before my wedding. After legally married, we moved in right away.

Super Mum

As a married couple, always best to have your own home before you start to build your own family. Reason being, your in laws / parents home is their home first. Of course, it’s understandable if the cost is too high.

VIP Member

we bought our own apartment after 2 kids, before that we live in rented apartment, luckily no need to stay with inlaws, and hopefully never have to (bring them in)

We're currently pregnant and staying with the in-laws! Thought it'll be easier to have people around to help plus we don't need much space yet. :)

Got our own place first. Stayed in our new home right after the wedding. And expecting our first 5 years after.

TapFluencer

Best advice start a family when you have your own apartment. The in law issue is no joke.

TapFluencer

My no. 1 was before my bto comes so i have to stay with my in-laws. My no. 2 is after.