hi mummies and daddies, any good tips on how to read to a child?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I let my girls choose the book she like in library and read it with many different voices for each characters. When she is bored, I will ask her questions on the picture and once her attention is back then I will continue. Sometimes we will read the same story in another language or read it based on our imagination without following the words by words. As for me, I want to cultivate love for reading first so knowing all the words or can read the whole storybook or not does not matter for now.

Read more
7y ago

very useful tips, will try, thank you! :)

VIP Member

Read in an animated voice to catch your LO's attention. If the character does an action (e.g. shout hooray, put hands up in the air, cover mouth) ask your LO to do the action too. You can also ask your LO to point out objects or answer simple questions. But don't be discouraged if your LO doesn't really sit still for long. My girl is 16 months old and still climbs all over me when we're reading. She does have her favourite book though and will at least sit through reading it.

Read more
7y ago

will try these tips, thank you mummies for all the generous sharing :)

I recommend for you to read and follow their pace. The other way is to build up a routine before bedtime. That would also help with building his interest in reading.

I will try to be one of the characters in the book and act like the character. It will help to motivate them to read more or actually stay put to listen

VIP Member

Just read. Read it with joy and sound actions. If he walks away, i will continue reading it out loud, he will be able to listen what the story is about.

7y ago

will continue reading if he attempts to walk away, thanks for the tip :)

don't read monotonously. lol. i usually follow my 3 year olds cue. it's quite frustrating as he tends to flip the book before i can even finish reading.

7y ago

thank you for the share! yes, mine also likes to flip the pages before im done with reading haha

Find books with are "funny" with a lot of different sounds yet rhyming ? N be as exaggerating as possible

Make it fun.... describe the picture.. ask them what they see...