Hi mummies do u buy breastpump after u deliver or before? What breastpump is suitable for small breasts?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi Yueh Ru, my sis passed me a hand me down bulky medela pump. I didnt think I wld have much supply by day 2 yet and so i didnt bring the pump to Mt A. I delivered on a Sun so no LC was ard. On Mon, LC came to help me. She said I seem to have good supply and could help express precious colostrum which she immed help to position my nb for me to cradle n DL. by end of day two,,my breasts engorged and I didnt know until I felt they were rock solid and hot and I was feeling feverish. By then (midnight) I was desperate for the pump (baby back in nursery sleeping) and loaned the hosp grade medela. To answer ur question that u asked the mommy above, I paid $50 for a set of disposable flanges and bottles and tubings (so its brand new in a pkt), package said smtg like, good for up to 8 uses/washes. Basically if u say u need to rent the pump, they will then bring u a new set of disposable flanges n bottles n tubings and then open it. once opened, it will be chargeable. Sugg u try calling up the hosp tt u plan to go, ask them the cost. I am not sure if the disposable pkt has various sizes or is it 'free size'. For Mt A, LC dont work on sundays... so nurses come round to assist but they can be slightly impatient and rough. I didnt have to request for Lc to visit. I think at Mt A it is standard tt they will come round to visit mommies who just delivered. After I went bk to work, I decided I needed another pump to lug ard in my office bag. So I bought a Spectra pump. Compact n lighter n portable. cheers,

Read more
7y ago

i see. thanks for ur sharing!

I think u shld really buy it before u deliver. There is a chance that u need to use it at the hospital so u have to bring w u otherwise u will incur cost. Sometimes for whatever reasons u might not be able to latch baby if baby needs to be in special ward (touch wood) - but that is how u stimulate ur breast in time and get them producing. When ur milk come in, ur boobs will increase in size a bit more and will fluctuate in size throughout ur be journey Standard or just a size smaller is enough alrdy. U can try at shops (I didn't and still it worked out ok) but remember that after u give birth boobs will still increase in size a little It will be troublesome to try and buy one during ur confinement when u can't really go out. During the first month, there will be times when u will need it, when u can't latch baby for whatever reasons or want to use it to help stimulate ur boobs more to produce more I bought Ameda but didn't like the "manual"-ness of it. I use spectra S1 at home and later bought the 9 for use outside/on the go I am a 34 A (on the smaller side of it) before pregnancy. After that was abt a B

Read more
7y ago

*thelittleonesinmylife

i got my manual breast pump before i delivered. I am fortunate that my friends and sisters lend me their electric breast pumps. Hence, I only used my manual bp when I go out as it is easier. Size doesnt matter as it has many different sizes of the shield. There are many shops that allow you to try before buying. You can also use the hosp pumps after you delivered.

Read more
7y ago

what shop do they let u try on the shield? kiddy palace? mothercare? do they let u try the suction too?

VIP Member

I bought before i deliver. But i didn't use much as i was mainly latching. It's not the pump to determine the breast size. Usually it's the flanges to determine the breastsize. I use both avent and spectra. I can use their standard flange sizes. I am 34B

Read more
7y ago

ok i guess after delivery then i will buy. thanks for ur help (:

Unimom i got it from mothercare. Hakka pump from pupsik. I serioualy love the hakka pump. http://www.pupsikstudio.com/haakaa-silicone-breast-pump.html http://www.mothercare.com.sg/sale/unimom-forte-electric-breastpump.html

Read more
7y ago

will check out on these 2

I bought before i delivered. I used unimom works very well. Please note that your breast size will change. Eventually i preferred the hakka and hand expresa method rather then the electronic type.

7y ago

i hardly see this brand around the stores. is it ideal for work or home? im finding one for home and good suction. does this brand also have good suction?

All the best in finding a suitable pump :)

Which brand the unimom or hakka?

7y ago

both