Baby name hard to pronounce

Hello all mummies, my baby will be coming in 3months time and it's my first! I have a name in mind, it's an existing name but very uncommon is Asia country. My husband's English is not that good so he finds the name weird and hard to pronounce! He agrees that the name is unique though! Now I worry that many people can't pronounce E.g Teachers and Peers. What to do?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You have to think about why you want that name for your child and what significance it has for you. Weigh that against how easy it is for your husband to use it, and if it will cause inconvenience to your baby when he grows up and goes through school. I had a few unique names in mind that had great meanings and I loved a lot, but after consulting how a few people would pronounce it decided to not let my ego get in the way. (Eg part of it's supposed to be pronounced Furd but people say Fart or Hard)

Read more

Whatever name is it, there will still be that one person who will pronounce it wrongly. People often pronounce my name wrongly too. Don’t have to worry about this, I believe when you introduce yourself you will let them know how you pronounce it :) My POV, can’t pronounce is way better than able to pronounce but being made fun of~

Read more

I wanted unique name for my #1, in the end we settle for a name where most of us could pronounce and also holds meaning to it. Plus it would be easier for him in the future too, where his peers, teachers, friends and colleagues could pronounce his name easily. Which might make him socially approachable. Hope this helps.

Read more

I feel it’s ok to have unique name but I don’t want it to be hard to pronounce or ppl will make fun of pronunciation . So i find it useful to find family & friends to pronounce it. It’s really tiring for you to keep correcting the Teachers the pronunciation and ur child to keep correct ppl in the future.

Read more
VIP Member

We did choose our baby name spelling like that which in prnounciatiom little different but in English the people have that name with the spelling we choose so it depends on you how much you are concerned about others or you want to have unique name

My hubby also tinks my ger name hard to pronounce n asks why i wanna have an extra L in my girl’s name. But i dun bother. 😅😂 my name is so easy to read people also cannot read.. so i ignore lol

My LO also having a name where 90% of Asian will think twice or even have to google to pronounce it. but it's totally fine! Your child will be a unique one !

TapFluencer

Most importantly both of you like it. My kids names are always mispronounced and we corrected ppl all the time and eventually gotten used to it

I used a French word for my son name and trust me no one get it right from the day he's born, so what? as long as we are happy right 😉

VIP Member

Go with the one you decide for your baby, there’s a lot of unique name around.