Pregnancy and exercise allowed?

Hi all, my mother and MIL don’t allow me to exercise at all. Said it’s dangerous for baby. Used to be very active (6 times a week intensive exercise) pre-pregnancy but now I feel so useless and unfit. How to convince them to let me exercise?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Big hugs! That must be a terrible feeling. I agree with getting the go-ahead from your gynae and tell her when your doctor gives the clearance. If you are okay, and if she wants to, can bring her to the clinic so that the doctor tells her directly. If you've been active since pre-preg, I honestly don't see why you can't resume, unless there is a contraindication from your gynae. I did plenty of exercises since I found out from week 4 but I reduced the intensity and rested whenever I'm out of breath or dizzy (which happens in pregnancy). My gynae only said to avoid high impact activities, like those that involve jumping. I did a mix of circuit training, yoga, swimming, badminton, etc.. I also used small weights for strength training. First tri I continued with badminton but stopped when it was harder to balance and might risk falling over on the court. I did yoga exclusively from week 34 cause it was too difficult to do anything else. You'd know when to taper your activities, just listen to your body :) My baby girl is healthy and was born one day before EDD. Exercise really helped me to prevent aches during pregnancy and I lost 80% of my preg weight within the first month and another 10% by second month. I agree you'd feel better with some exercises. Hope you get to exercise soon!

Read more