Mommies, whenever your kids are so makulit, do you tell them this: "pag di ka tumigil kukunin ka ng pulis (or mama)?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply
VIP Member

Nope. But my parents did. In fact, they are still saying this phrase to my nephews and nieces. However, personally, I do not want to use this tactic just to make kids behave because they might develop some sort of phobia or fear of seeing policemen or even soldiers (as my parents used to say). Instead, you can always distract your kids by asking them to do something like give them small tasks--get them to do crafts which can help develop their creativity while at the same time keeping them quiet and focused.

Magbasa pa

I try my best not to tell my kids that because I believe that it my psychologically harm them in one way or another. But it sometimes come automatically since that was how I was brought up. Although I have noticed my nannies and parents say those to my kids and I end up correcting them for doing so. Rather than scaring or threatening them, I would ask them to go elsewhere to do something. Or divert their attention to something they want or have found interest in.

Magbasa pa

No. I have read that doing that isn't fine because they may grow with it. And we may somewhat inculcate in their young minds that those persons you used as a subject to scare them are really scary when in fact it's not. It's better to talk to them in a normal way. We may opt to choose alternative ways to distract them from doing so or make alternative activities.

Magbasa pa

No. But I always tell her to behave and listen to what I say. It's important to have a connection with your child, and while talking to her, look at her straight to the eye. Eye contact is very much important when saying something to kids.

Sometimes, but I usually control my self not to. It will only cause wrong fear on a child. That fear will be there as they grow up. More on I explain to them the consequence if they are "makulit" like they might fall or get hurt.

No, sometimes we are talking to her to stop or else we will be angry.