Breastfeeding Vs pumping

Hi mommies. Need your advice. I mostly pump every 3 hours. However since my son recently learned to latch, I have been breastfeeding more often. I am now wondering if my breast can keep up with his demand. He bf every 2 hours while previously I only pump every 3 hours. Will my body work its way to match my son's feeds/replenish fast enough to meet his demand?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there! Congratulations on your son learning to latch, that's such an exciting milestone! It's totally normal to wonder if your body can keep up with his increased demand for breastfeeding. The good news is that our bodies are amazing and can adjust to meet your baby's needs. When your baby breastfeeds, it actually signals your body to produce more milk, so the more he breastfeeds, the more milk your body will make to keep up with his demand. It's a supply and demand system, so the more your baby nurses, the more milk your body will produce. To help your body keep up with his increased demand, make sure you are staying well-hydrated and eating a balanced diet. You can also try pumping in between breastfeeding sessions to help boost your milk supply. And don't forget to get plenty of rest, as stress and fatigue can affect milk production. It's also important to remember that every mom and baby pair is different, so what works for one may not work for another. If you have any concerns about your milk supply or your baby's feeding habits, don't hesitate to reach out to a lactation consultant or your healthcare provider for personalized support. You're doing a fantastic job, mama! Keep listening to your body and your baby, and trust that your body will work its way to match your son's feeds and replenish fast enough to meet his demand. You've got this! https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

Hello! Usually yes. The body is very smart at increasing the supply. Milk is made when there is milk removal, either by pumping or latching. Now that the frequency is more I.e. every 2 hrs instead of 3hrs, it is telling the body more milk is needed and the body will make milk faster. Also, baby doesn’t drink everything, so there will always be something left. I’m was a pumping and formula mom turn exclusive latched mom from week 8. No issues with supply. Just follow baby’s cue and feed on demand. You can check that he has enough with the wet diaper count

Read more